[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
a novel question : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

a novel question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
lifeontherun
Private First Class

a novel question

Postby lifeontherun » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:16 am

Possibly this is the right spot for this question...

I see the world of literature changing very rapidly. A novel is my concern though, just now. I’m not prepared to present my work as poetry, (tagged by editors) and memoir is a catchall statement for most of it. Since my work in mythology and psychology I am awake to mysteries that were presented in that fine work I call The Wizard’s Manuscript. It is a work of Creative Nonfiction given through the muse that attended me through a crisis, and a story of growth through instinct. A passive/aggressive attempt to rationalize a mystery confounded the work and made it clear as mud…pun intended.

My question is-- what constitutes a novel in this day? This is a story; I’ve met the criteria for beginning, middle and end, and I’ve exceeded 80 thousand words. My brain tells me I’m a valid writer, but who knows. The structure of this book is prose into poetic answers, and has been marketed extensively. Although written over 25 years ago it is as timely now, and more so today, as it was then.

When all is lost my inner self speaks metaphysically in metamorphous of me…and this is the crux of the imagination, the confounding element that perpetrated this event. I am preparing to submit this work in a contest, one that calls for a novel in Creative Nonfiction.

I hope this question makes sense. If not, that’s likely the element I’m working against.

Miracles happen.
Thank you for all you see here.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: a novel question

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks shadowwalker,
Then clarity is the problem; possibly a mindset because distinguishing a $10 dollar word from a nickel attitude is really a problem. That, and confusion about fiction and nonfiction. To make matters worse I'm finding a whole new, (to me) genre labeled 'true fiction'.
No, the book has no been published but has been marketed quite a lot through the years.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:39 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Even "In Cold Blood", which Capote based on true events, is classified as fiction, I believe. (And I don't understand your sentences, either.)
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Then it is confirmed! Trying to write through a traumatic brain injury is pure fallacy! But never the less...

http://www.cjr.org/feature/the_rise_of_true_fiction.php

James, take a look into the website above. You present yourself as a- be all, know- all…possibly this website will be enlightening to that attitude.

I get that my sentences are not understood, pls.

And once again, shadowdancer, (oops) I mean shadowwalker, thank you for answering my question…even though it took me three non-sense paragraphs to get to it.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 am

I don't know if you can call one person coining a term for a blog post a trend.

But on the other hand, I did a quick Google search and Goodreads does have a section called popular true fiction books, and they list Water for Elephants and Into the Wild as true fiction.

Return to Conversation question