[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Just something to think about. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Just something to think about.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

Just something to think about.

Postby roda havet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:35 am

After being diagnosed with a rare medical condition called "Migralepsy" , my doctor told me when I have an episode to find my "happy place". How many of you have what they call a "happy place" in your mind? And how often do you find yourself going there? If you don't mind sharing it what is it like? After thinking about these questions I realized that I do have a "happy place" and I go there quite a lot. I also realized this "happy place" has appeared in the novel I trying to write. So, here is how I would describe my "happy place": It's a nice colorful field of flowers with a stream nearby that has a water fall. Along with an old willow tree for shade. This to me is a happy place due to the look of it and I always imagine the sound of the water fall. What's everyone's thought on this? :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Just something to think about.

Postby pls » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:56 am

Interesting concept. I suppose my happy place, which I visit sometimes in dreams, is the farm where I grew up in SE Kansas.

Sadly, I can't go back there. It's owned by someone else who has turned it into a puppy mill for English bulldogs. I think they're being well-cared for, but every farm building save one concrete block building, the old milkhouse, has been torn down and sold for the barn wood. New buildings have been added, and the original house was torched for the insurance value. So it's now purely a fantasy place for me.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:11 pm

My happy place is pure fantasy, but I guess there could be a place like it somewhere in the world. Sorry to hear about the farm Pls, I've always been told farms are great to live on. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:19 pm

I never really thought about it. I wonder if I have one. I'll get back to you.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:45 pm

All I need to do is hug my dogs and I'm in my happy place. :D

nean
Private E-1

Postby nean » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm glad you have made a happy place! We all need that, I suppose. I have made happy places, too. Maybe you could write about your happy place. Keep adding things to it, like pets, people, adventures? Best wishes as you visit there!

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:41 am

I deal with migraines too, Roda. But not seizures. That's pretty scary.

I think my happy place is claimed to be the happiest place on earth. We went to Disneyland in January and I have actual dreams about going back there at least once a month. I did have fun when I went and enjoyed it far more than as adult should I guess. But I'm happy when I think about that place. I tend to want to go there when I get stressed or feel like I need to escape.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 am

There are other times I think about my favorite singer and him singing my favorite songs of his. Though I have never been able to go a concert of his. If my other happy place doesn't I just imagine myself there listen to the songs and it calms me. :)

nean
Private E-1

Postby nean » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm so sorry about your pain and seizures. I didn't know the extent of your condition. I thought maybe you slept a lot. I was a migraine sufferer as a child, so I understand the intense suffering involved, but not the fear of seizure. Best wishes to you <3 Keep enjoying your happy places! :D

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question