[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I feel like I've hit a road block. : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I feel like I've hit a road block.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: I feel like I've hit a road block.

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:39 pm

100% agree with outlining beforehand.

Make a 'compact' version of your story.

Write it in several different structures. Play with it. Bend it.

Make a 1-page synopsis, then a 5-page synopsis. Write in bullet-points or write in single-paced paragraphs. Write a version on a sheet with wide, wide margins so that it's a near-vertical run-down.

Make a 'notecard' version.

Make a 'decision-tree' version.

At that point you should be able to see the anatomy very clearly and 'have a feeling for' what bones are ready for flesh.
Blow up the bridge?!

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:01 am

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Bobabob
Private E-1

Postby Bobabob » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am

@twostepcharlie I like that idea. Thanks
Incompetence! It's the new normul.

Previous

Return to Conversation question