[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Thoughts on what most would say is an odd topic : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Thoughts on what most would say is an odd topic

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

Thoughts on what most would say is an odd topic

Postby roda havet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am

What's your thoughts on this odd but normal topic? I watched a movie with my girls the other day and well they used potty humor kind of throughout the movie. I'm sure all of us as kids thought that stuff may have been funny. But I have noticed that potty humor is used in romantic comedies, comedies, family, and kids movies. Is it used in books like it is in the movies? I'm just curious if everyone truly finds potty humor funny or not? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think even in some kids books they use potty humor. Why is that?
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Thoughts on what most would say is an odd topic

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:03 am

Some people will object, some people will laugh, or not get it, or shake their heads before moving on. Some will be mildly irritated, some will toss the book. Some writers can write humor, others can't - just like some people know how to tell a joke or others fall flat.

ie - stop worrying about what you're "allowed" to do in a story; decide what makes the story better, and then write it well.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm still immature, so I think potty humor is funny.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:12 pm

I think it's what's wring with the world, and when writers don't take such things seriously, don't make moral judgments, then writers are the ones to blame for it all. Being a writer is not an excuse to be immoral, not an excuse to shun social responsibility. To the contrary. When writers refuse to do these things, they before the immoral and the irresponsible, and the ones who tell everyone else that it's just fine to be this way. Even kids.

But it's fine. It's just a story, after all, and we're all artists, and of course artists have no duty in life at all, except for whatever makes the story sell.

But, yeah, potty humor is hilarious.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:45 pm

My two girls find that stuff very funny. And when we were watching the movie I didn't expect it, though it was pretty funny on how they added it in there. But after I seen it I started thinking about other movies and some books then realized people use it more often then you think. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:46 pm

In the world of standup comedians, this kind of humor is always considered the cheapest possible way to get a laugh. In other words it's a form of slumming; stooping; an indication of low-caliber comic skill. It's narrow and limited because repetition quickly makes it tired and stale.
Blow up the bridge?!

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:41 am

Personally, I'm not too keen on potty humor. Sometimes, it's too much and it should be more about the story.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:07 pm

I heard some TV scriptwriter say: One fart joke is better than three pages of carefully crafted humor.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:24 pm

I think potty humor is idiotic but sex is hilarious.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

Next

Return to Conversation question