Crime Story outline?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

Re: Crime Story outline?

Postby roda havet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:46 pm

After reading what Pls put on the post I made about writing two books at the same time I'm not going to do it but thanks. I just thought about it if you know what the names of your characters are going to be you can try making a list of them and giving them a back ground then go from there. You may be able to try that for the places you are using as well. I hope that helps. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 am

the way i advise mentees and clients to do this is to simply jot down bullet points for each of the main plot elements of the story that you have in mind at the moment... keep it simple, so you'll have ample leeway to improvise, as you do the actual writing, since stories do seem to take over and tell themselves, as things start flowing...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:27 pm

I type my plot out first as a short story using a text editor or Word processor. Just using my normal writers' voice.
But in that way, the story can be bulleted or annotated along the margin wherever an important plot-point, section, turning point, or act has to fall.
This lets me know what kind of structure I have. Once I'm sure that the thing is 'comprehensible' and 'coherent' (I circulate this version to peers) then I convert it to notecards. From there its a breeze.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Conversation question