[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
An Odd Question : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

An Odd Question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: An Odd Question

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00 pm

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm

There are a few fiction books written in poetry form, for example, FALLOUT. So, it is possible to do it. The audience may be smaller, but poetry IS communication as well :D

erifnosmirc
Private E-1

Postby erifnosmirc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 pm

My immediate goal is simply to write. I tend to be that writer that says she's going to scribble pieces that'll be published and sell one day but only sat down to actually do so when "inspiration" struck. Now, I want to write more frequently, even if the end result is something that leaves much to be desired. Hey, it might be something I can come back to and improve upon down the line. I was doing an all right job at it for a bit, but this week I've been slacking. That, and of course the overall goal to improve my writing, is why I joined this forum. I figure being around you creative types and critiquing here and there will help me get to putting my thoughts to paper.

Like a lot of you, I'd like to make a living off my writing someday, though I'm still at a loss as to what exactly I want to do with it. I thought scriptwriting would be an easy avenue to get into since I enjoy writing dialogue, but not so much. I'm not so good at developing ideas and plot, as I'm finding out by collaborating with a friend on his projects. I'm still helping where I can for the experience, but maybe it's not the industry for me in the long run. I do have a part-time job editing online surveys which involves some writing. That I do enjoy.

In my loftiest, most idealistic dreams, I hope to be an Amy Tan for the Filipino-American community. She's really inspired me through her cultural literature, and I'd like to emulate that somehow. But I don't know, perhaps that's a conceited thought.

amviolette
Private E-1

Postby amviolette » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:26 am

My goal, as a writer, is to one day become published. I want to write stories and novels that people enjoy. A closely related goal is to become organized and focused enough to write said enjoyable stories and novels.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm

1. to get one of my short stories or novellas published
2. to have fun
3. to have a creative outlet which i badly need
4. to have something i can concentrate on, that is my own, that i can work around my kids' schedules
4. to overcome illness, through the power of distraction and positive thinking

Ben Reader
Private E-2

Postby Ben Reader » Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I write because I want to tell a story.. 

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:28 am

Well, since I have a young heart, but an old soul, I would definitely say that I want my writing to provoke thought and unlock the powers of the mind for the reader; but most of all, as I am a fantasy writer, I want to spread the sensational wonders of imagination and the blissful, dreaming beauty it can create. I want the world to believe in magic again. :).
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

EdJ7
Private E-1

Postby EdJ7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Ultimately my goal is to inspire people through my writing. Regardless of what genre I write in, I hope that anyone who happens to read what I write takes away something new, something that even I would never anticipate. I have personally taken much from the various things that I have read over the years, and it hasn't just inspired me to write. Reading other people's work has changed my views or allowed me to think critically about different issues. I just hope to give some of that back. Of course it would be great if I could make a living from it too.

Macky
Private E-1

Postby Macky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 am

There was a time when my goal in writing was solely to vent.

Eventually I found something positive about the angst and it's this now: I write so people who read my stuff won't have to feel so utterly alone.
The cause of all things bad is a lack of imagination.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

I have specific, short-term goals like: submit so many stories to this & that publication or contest. The ongoing goal providing impetus, on the other hand, is to keep improving, become a better writer, and have tangible evidence of progress (i.e. publication, positive feedback). Making money would also be nice.

Previous

Return to Conversation question