[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How Do You Communicate Love? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How Do You Communicate Love?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
tristancody
Private E-1

How Do You Communicate Love?

Postby tristancody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm

You are writing a book and, like many, it has a love aspect. The love may not be a big part of the story or it could be all the story is about, either way, how do you depict it?

Do you prefer the quirky teenage love? The deep and passionate romance? Do you even prefer the long and hard road through a rough spot in the relationship to show build?

There are so many ways you could show love in a story. . . How do you like to do it?

Oh and please no sexually orientated replies.
"Do good, do better, do your best. Then work hard so that way your good is better than you best."

Kabashi
Private E-1

Re: How Do You Communicate Love?

Postby Kabashi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 pm

This is complex question for me to answer. When reading an okay love story, I hate the old fundamental of it. Woman meets guy, guy meets woman, they hated each other or pity the other and some sort of secret from 10 or so year pass comes back to hunt that person. Then they solve the problem from life or death situation and developed a love/physical relationship. Blah, blah blah. What I want to see is a story where the feature couple both have a common problem of that moment and slowly but surely develop a romance. But at the same time, choose if they want to continue with the romance or just walk away from it. Those are the type of stories I like.

I hope that I've answered your question.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:47 am

there's no one-size-fits-all way to do it... each story has its own demands...

i've used both graphic sex and subtle imagery, along with varying amounts of dialog and narrative in one genre or another... i'd no more stick to one way to do this than i would to 'communicate' anything else to the reader...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 pm

One way to depict love is by having one character unaware of the other's attraction. Another way, is by having both be attracted to each other but have some obstacle in the way (which either keeps them apart or brings them together). Another way is to have it slowly be brought into the story. I tend to like stories in which the love is not the primary object of the overall story. There is something else pushing the character forward. Too much love may just get in the way. However, if I were writing a story of a little boy who craves his parent(s) love and affection, then, a love substory will not be necessary.

EcoBeauty
Private First Class

Postby EcoBeauty » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:56 pm

How do you depict it? Do you prefer the quirky teenage love?

I actually don't use the theme of love often in my novels or short stories, except for two in which one has a budding relationship and the other having quirky, cheesy teenaged love. Based off of the single experience, I use confusion, ignorance, and impulse to depict love.

Do you even prefer the long and hard road through a rough spot in the relationship to show build?

I love bumps in relationships, because it keeps it interesting.

How do you like to do it?

I like to show love in my characters in a messed up, discomposing way. I just find that interesting. I don't do so well when it comes to writing something that makes people happy. Yes, I am depressing that way. Ha, ha.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:53 am

I have written only one 'love story' (and it languishes in Rewrite Hell). But as a reader, I want the love story part to fit in with the rest of it. I recently read a book by an author I normally enjoy a great deal. It was a murder mystery, the creepy sort, and her two MCs fell in love. Which is not, in and of itself, a bad thing. The problem was, it was the old "I hate you no I love you" type thing, it happened within a day or two of their meeting, and they had sex at the most ridiculous times. It was as though she felt she had to toss in the romance/sex thing just to make the book longer. Needless to say, I'm not going to be buying the sequel, and will think long and hard before buying any more of her books.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:23 pm

it all depends on the character's personalities and the story itself.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:04 am

love doesnt need words to be communicated. it can be through nursing your ill friend, helping your boss with some work, giving your employee a surprise holiday, christmas gift. it can be in the form of a mother's day card from a rebellious son, or the sex a girlfriend gives to her depressed boyfriend.it can be the food you give your dog or the purr your cat does when you enter the house.
there are many ways to communicate love and if you're confused which one to use, think of the one you'd like someone to use on you...
Have a nice day

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Next

Return to Conversation question