[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Creative Rites : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Creative Rites

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
CandyApple
Private E-1

RE: Creative Rites

Postby CandyApple » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Wdoes it take for me to actually sit down and write? Well, sometimes I procrastinate by taking a bath and reading (yes, I do both at the same time). Sometimes I have to play an obsorbing game--like Tetris--before I can write. Most of the time, though, if I have the slightest snippet of time to write at all, I can't waste it by fumbling around till inspiration hits. I'm in high school, which might not sound time consuming, but I'm taking 10 classes (3 more than most students), comprised of the hardest courses my school has to offer. I also participate in drama, jazz band, pep band, poetry club, Knowledge Bowl, SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), Link Crew (a leadership group at my school), and french horn lessons, while maintaining a Saturday job. Therefore my creative rite is this: work myself to insanity for a month and then jump on the chance to write for an hour when I don't have something to do. :)

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 am

Threats from the person signing my paycheck works for me.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:13 am

I feel so all alone.  None of the rest of you eat oatmeal to get in touch with your creative side???  Seriously, it's sad to say, but I have no creative rites.  I look at the calendar, see I have something due, sit down and write.  Maybe I should take up smoking or heavy drinking or something.

airen
Private E-2

Postby airen » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:09 am

My mind is where it all happens. I seem to take what I see in the world and come up with a story that gives my point of view on the subject. Some times I am conciously active in developing a storyline and sometimes they just pop into my concious head after apparently being mulled around in my subconcious. Some times I manage to remember a dream and a story comes from that experience. I tend to write within my head then the words just flow out. Occassionaly I run dry for a day or two but then a rush occurs and I am writing down what the characters say.

vikki_m
Private E-1

Postby vikki_m » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:28 am

I watch TV until I'm disgusted with the drivel. That sends me flying to my desk. Also, driving helps me as well. I've written whole chapters on my commute to my day job. I've noticed that since I quit the day job to stay home with my son those chapters don't come as fast as they used to.

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:12 pm

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 pm

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:47 pm

KeithMN
Lieutenant

Postby KeithMN » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:35 am

I don't think I have any rituals either.  When I get a great idea, I'll go somewhere with a pen and notebook, sit down and work out an outline.  That helps me sort it all out.  I do a lot of physical research, too, apart from looking online. 

dragonsong
Colonel

Postby dragonsong » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:30 pm

I don't really have any rituals for writing. At least not yet. I'm still developing the writing bug that drives to do writing when you can. However I do seem to get creative juices flowing when I can't sit down and write. Like when I'm pacing the store where I work, since I don't have any customers but I'm still not allowed to sit down. I crafted a good chunk of a scene today in my head while pacing. I just played with it, testing out various ways of describing it, all without writing any of it down. If I didn't use that pacing time to work on my story at least that way, I'd be bored out of my skull.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question