[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
your inspiration? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

your inspiration?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: your inspiration?

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm

dreams, true stories, family members who drive me crazy, animals, my kid & stuff she says & does, newspaper articles, music, childhood books, neat specialty stores that create their own little universe, silly conversations with my husband late at night about prog rock bands, & SO ON....

wg43
Private E-1

Postby wg43 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a friend who is a street photographer, he and his work inspire me. My other greatest inspirations, catching glimpses of strangers doing odd things when they think no one is looking and despair.
My blog is updated on a regular basis and I invite you to stop in anytime at:

whitepenney
Private E-1

Postby whitepenney » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Just the other day I was sitting in the dentist chair, looking out the window and got a huge idea. Had forgotten my journal and asked the dentist to wait a few and hand me an extra bib, grabbed a pen and wrote will my mouth began to numb, it was the weirdest thing.

looneywriter
General of the Army

Postby looneywriter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:39 pm

My most random inspiration occurred when I was on the way home from my nephew's birthday party. His family lives in a rural community, so the drive took me back through the mountains. There was a full moon, and it looked enormous as I crested a hill. I got to thinking about full moons and the folklore centered around them - namely werewolf legends. Then I thought, what would happen if a wolf turned human during the full moon? How would she react to human customs, etc.?

That became the inspiration for "Honor the Pack" - which also became my first fiction publication. :)

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:13 pm

oooooh, I love the idea of a wolf turning human during the full moon! Where can I find this book? Is it suitable for the 9 - 12 year old crowd?

looneywriter
General of the Army

Postby looneywriter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 pm

serendipitous
Private E-1

Postby serendipitous » Mon May 14, 2012 2:53 pm

For me it's anything visual. I have an entire folder of photographer from Flickr and Tumblr because in my eighth grade English class every Friday our teacher would put a photo on the overhead and we'd spend the class period writing a story around the photograph. I suppose I never got out of the habit. Film and television are also huge inspirations. I literally went to the Avengers opening night a couple weeks ago and came home with an entirely new character inspired by Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye.

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:34 pm

It's strange. For some reason, practically everytime I take a shower, I become inspired for a poem. The words will just come in an unstoppable flow and its sometimes frustrating because I don't have a pen or paper anywhere near me. Lol. :). Oh, and my book was inspired by a dream. A very strange dream, I'll share with you the entry from my dream journal...
July 14, 2011
I had a dream that I was staying with Grandma in this really beautiful town. It was like the Garden of Eden basically. It was so beautiful, you could even see a waterfall in the distance. There were trees everywher. It was absolutely enchanting. I could feel the magic, I had expected to see a unicorn, but that's not what I found. In the middle of the town there was a Juvenile Hall. Thiswas where Jake was staying. The Juvenile Hall was surrounded by gorgeous Snow White houses. The houses looked as if they came right out of a fairytale. Yet, there was a place for underage criminals in the middle. But Jake was there and he was my cousin, so I decided to ask Grandma if me and Matthew (my boyfriend at the time) could go visit Jake in juvi. So we walked over there and Jake was watching something on DVR. He turned around and he looked like the same Jake to me. he ran over and gave me a hug. I introduced him to Matthew. But Matthew looked scared as he looked down at my cousin. I told Jake to go back and watch the DVR. I asked Matthew what was wrong.
"That kid is ugly."
"That is not very nice Matthew".
"No i mean he's scary ugly like something isn't right about him."
"Well, he did try to stab a kid." (In real life he really did.)
"No-" he was cut off when the nurse came out.
"Visiting time is over" She said.
"But we just got here."
"It is time to leave, you must go home."
So we left and when we got home, there was a stereotypical witch (strange, because I was Wiccan at the time) in the Living Room, she was trying to hurt Grandma.

Strange, right?
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 am

I hope no one minds resurrecting a dead thread, but this topic always fascinates me.

For me, I was watching an old disaster movie. Damnation Alley. Bad movie, but fun to watch. At the end of it, I said to myself, "Never survive the apocalypse."

Inspiration. It became the opening line of my WIP.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

M G Kizzia
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M G Kizzia » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Right now it's Hayao Miyazaki.

I just churned out 45,000 words about a young heroine, Caroline.
By the end she is glowing like an angel, dancing on a cloud and singing to the stars.
very Miyazaki.

Next week/ month/? the inspiration will be different.
- Michael

The Fiction Side: The Storyteller http://mgkizzia.wordpress.com/

The Non-Fiction Side: Word & Spirit http://michaelkizzia.wordpress.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question