your inspiration?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
clanae
Private E-1

Re: your inspiration?

Postby clanae » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:14 am

I was paging through my dictionary of mythology (yes there is such a book) and I came upon cerberus, all the sudden I had a "vision" of a young woman killing herself. A bit morbid, even for me. I'm no stranger to killing my characters, in fact its a common occurance in my short stories and novels; but, I've never had one kill herself. It freaked me out so much, I spent a long time developing the story trying to figure out why.

Strangly enough, cerberus isnt even mentioned anywhere in the book. In fact, there aren't even any dogs mentioned.

maxwellkirk
Private E-1

Postby maxwellkirk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:18 pm

My insane boss and colleagues are my inspiration. I had no idea professionals could be so odd until I started working at my current company.

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:38 am

My Editor, Phoebe Lassiter - She's purely volunteer and she's gone above and beyond purely because she has faith in me. I can't let her down. She's helped me improve my writing abilities overall, made me more supportive of myself, and showed me that patience is a virtue.

My husband - Because he's so tolerant and always pushing me to do more, be better, but doesn't judge me when I can't get something done right. He gave the inspiration to try my hand at anything - even when it just costs him money and I turn into a hoarder of unused goods. (anyone need beads? fabric?)

Shay Savage - I was a fan of her writings for a long time while they were fanfiction and watched as her authoring career took off. She gave me the inspiration to be brave in my writing and not shy away from difficult subject matter.

Charlotte Stein - my favorite author - because she did it, too, and she created some of my most loved characters like Gabe and Artie who cheer me up when I read their stories again and again.

Sarah Emert
Private E-1

Postby Sarah Emert » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm

My inspiration comes from my childhood experiences. I published a children's book called Chanler and Friends: Backyard Camping, this year about a chimp named Chanler. He and his friends go camping. One part in the story they go fishing and they fling a fish into a tree by accident. That really happened to my brothers and I. I base some characteristics from my brothers and myself. For an example Chanler's favorite sport is baseball and my brother Clay played baseball. My favorite parts about writing and getting inspired is drawing my characters.

dikarocks
Private E-1

Postby dikarocks » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 pm

My inspiration comes from everything. From when I was in Senior High School (I got bully all the time), from something that people always face everyday, like traffic congestion, work, and more. A song can be my inspiration, too. I just read the whole lyric and try to make it to a story.
Follow me in Twitter @dikablog

Previous

Return to Conversation question