favorite part of writing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Loretta Green
Sergeant First Class

Re: favorite part of writing?

Postby Loretta Green » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm

my favorite part of writing is when you loose yourself in the writing. When you're effectively, not there. When all you do is Listen to the story tell itself.

Whiskers
Private E-1

Postby Whiskers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:06 am

The dialogue. I really like it when I can come up with what the Reader's Digest used to call "The Perfect Squelch". (I haven't found one yet but when I do I'll really like it.)

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm

ahhh there are so many different stages. I equally love two parts best: the part where I've already written the first draft and get to edit 50,000,000 times, and the part at the very beginning where I barely know anything about the characters or plot and get to make a hundred different possibilities happen.
Previously published writer starting over.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 am

My favorite part of writing is when the action speeds up and the typing speed increases in intensity. The story flows one scene into the next. Sometimes I don't know where I'm going, but the characters lead me there. I get a real rush out of this experience.

serendipitous
Private E-1

Postby serendipitous » Mon May 14, 2012 2:21 pm

My favorite part is the fever of the beginning. When the characters first begin to speak to you and their lives begin to unravel in front of your eyes. When everything's new and there's so much to explore. That is my favorite part. That and the immense satisfaction of the end.

Ben Reader
Private E-2

Postby Ben Reader » Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm

I actually like writing the twist, the unexpected. It is like a trick that only the writer knows. The end is also my favorite part. It is like the culmination of my hard work. 

westmav
Private E-1

Postby westmav » Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 am

For me, it has to be the part when the antagonist realizes his wrongdoings. When I write, I make it a point that the readers will learn something from it, I believe all of us do. I like it when the opponent goes through hardships which resulted from his ill behavior. I know it’s overdramatic but I enjoy this part the most. Imposing punishment to the antagonist is like chastising my enemies. Lol! But seriously, thinking of how I really want people with dreadful attitude to improve their manners motivates me to write enlightening stories.

EdJ7
Private E-1

Postby EdJ7 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:32 pm

One of my favorite things about writing is the development of a character. I read the words I've written and slowly begin to realize that the characters are speaking to each other, and I'm not writing so much as allow them to speak. I especially like it when I realize a character has developed a personality.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 am

My favourite thing is when the superficial outer layer of the story falls away, and something deeper is revealed that I didn't even know was there when I started writing.

Ben Reader
Private E-2

Postby Ben Reader » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:13 am

My favorite part is writing the ending, which also became the hardest part.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question