[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
favorite part of writing? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

favorite part of writing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

favorite part of writing?

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:34 pm

What is your favorite part of writing? The plot? Creating characters? Describing people places things? My favorite part is the dialogue...next would be thoughts that the main character feels but won't say
Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: favorite part of writing?

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I can't really say which part of writing is my favorite. I only have a couple of characters in mind, some broad idea of what could happen, absolutely no idea how it's going to turn out - so in essence, all of it is my favorite because it all works itself out as I go along.

I can say what my favorite part of the process is - that first sentence. I type it, don't like it, something isn't quite right - it has to be perfect! So I agonize over it, sometimes for hours, sometimes for days - and then it happens. I type that first period and BOOM! There's a thrill runs through me and I sometimes just sit back and laugh, I'm so delighted! I don't think about the coming headaches, the swearing, the delete button, the "he can't do that, you idiot!". It's all fresh and exciting and waiting to happen. All it takes is that first sentence.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:37 pm

the whole schmear!... i don't do 'favorites' in anything, really...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 pm

right, right i agree. the passion and love for your craft is going to be bigger than a favorite. this is very true. but i do love the dialogue part. with favorites, when people ask me 'what's your favorite song or type of music or movie or food...i have no answer. generally it alllll depends on my mood or it's apples and oranges

wow! that first sentence is very very intense i sort of..have to take breaks from that part lol. but yes it makes you SMILE and sigh a sigh of relief once you have it together! goooood point!
@rhramsey1214

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:56 am

Favorite part of writing? Cashing the check.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:46 pm

@rhramsey1214

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:14 am

I love writing in general but I would have to say my favorite part is creating the story because I'm a visual person I see my story as a movie in my head. I know it seems a bit odd I know but it is the best part because I feel as if I'm part of the story. That is my favorite part of writing.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:23 pm

@rhramsey1214

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Same here 8-)