[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
stupid question...again... : Conversation question • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

stupid question...again...

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Re: stupid question...again...

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:05 am

I write YA, and my female leads are strong and capable, just like the women I know in real life. But yeah, there is most definitely a double standard, at least in some genres. We must rise up and change the world, ladies. The men aren't going to do it for us. ;)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:18 pm

I have written from both male and female perspective, but I do think I enjoy writing strong women/girls the best!
Previously published writer starting over.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 am

now I'm sitting here trying to evaluate my own stuff...i'm trying to remember whether or not I created a healthy balance for my female protag. struggling and finding her way or being rescued...I don't always want the 'being rescued' theme to outweigh a strong woman finding her way. thanks for bringing this to my attention
@rhramsey1214

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:37 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:31 pm

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 am

In marketing terms, I think that for YA & juvenile fiction especially, girls will buy & read books featuring both male & female protagonists. Boys on the other hand will turn up their little freckled noses at anything featuring a female protagonist. JK Rowling is a mulitmillionairress (sp?) because Harry is a guy, not a girl. This really sucks and is totally unfair, but is not likely to change any time soon.

In terms of knowing your characters, whether male or female, I think women have the edge over men here. Our survival for centuries has depended on knowing all the little nuances of the male psyche, whereas even supergeek genius Hawking admits that women are a complete mystery. So we must be doing our job right, girls. ;) And as for writing for the younger crowd, who knows the kids, both boys and girls, best? Mom or Dad?

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 am

@rhramsey1214

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 am

Well, I don't have freckles, and my childhood was some time ago, but I believe LMGilbert is right. When I was a boy, I read the Hardy Boy Series, Bomba the Jungle Boy, Tarzan, Tom Swift, Tom Swift Jr., Roy Rogers, Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, plus lots of YA Science Fiction (which always featured boy heroes),etc. Never would I have even considered looking at a Nancy Drew mystery. Kids may have changed since then, but I have a feeling young boys still want to read about boy protagonists, not girl protagonists.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:50 am

I agree with LMGilbert and Warren. Boys think girls are yucky. ;)

I write from both male and female perspective, sometimes in the same novel, but I know that if I ever get published it will be girls who buy the book. I'm fine with that.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question