[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
stupid question...again... : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

stupid question...again...

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
updog
General of the Army

Re: stupid question...again...

Postby updog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am

Warren, I like writing male characters too, but am never sure I get it right. It's challenging, but that's what I like about writing. One of the things I like to do is show both the male and female perspective in the same story. The he said/she said can lead to all sorts of funny scenes. But I write lighthearted romance adventure stories for young adults, so I get to clown around a bit. I never take myself too seriously. :D
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:28 pm

I like both, although I do find it easier to relate to women, I think that women can relate to men. Such as in the Hunger Games Series, I can relate both to Katniss and Peeta. In my writing I usually have a female main character because they are easier to write for but in every novel I write there is usually a male main character as well.

j t hall
Master Sergeant

Postby j t hall » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:18 am

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
My main characters have always, until now, been males, whether cats, humans, or humanoids. My current work has a female (Mary/vasque/Cara). Males seemed to be easier to write, but Cara is proving no problem. Of course, most of my mains just start knocking for my attention, and they're already formed, with story, back story, gender, etc, so I don't really choose. They do (Why do I hear John Hurt saying the wand chooses the wizard?).
In reading, if the story's decent, I don't care the what the sex of the main is, as long as s/he isn't a stereotype (unless you're JRRTolkien)..
It's amazing what we can do when we stop accepting limits.

http://www.carolynsworld.wordpress.com
http://www.carolyncarceo.wordpress.com

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am

Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:26 pm

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

haha! that's a compliment...that's good that you are able to do so well with a female protag :P
@rhramsey1214

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:58 am

I grew up reading British writers, and they're very bit as action oriented as American writers. Or used to be. But like American writers, it all depends on which writers you read.

My favorite British writers are usually women, oddly enough, and I read several. Just about the only male British write I read on a never miss basis is Jonathan Gash. Particularly his Lovejoy novels.

But I'll stand up for American thriller writers. I think they're better at action, and at characterization, than just about any of the current British writers I read. But if you don't like action scenes in novels, no action writer is going to please you.

I love good characterization, but too many British writers are so intent on showing characterization that they seem to forget action altogether. It's like being stretched out on a psychiatrist's couch and constantly being asked, "And how did that make you feel?"

Characterization is great, but I think Americans are better at it than the British, at least today, partly because they remember that character only matters through action. There is no character without action. It's what people do in times of crisis that shows true character.

The British used to know this, and the books I read growing up were packed with action. I looked up my very first word in a dictionary because a character in one of those books, an action packed adventure about British rangers during WWII, was very descriptively shot through the cranium. I didn't know what a cranium was, but it sounded painful, so I looked it up. Today it's hard to find a British writers who's any good at all with action, and character studies make me want to stop reading.

Ian Fleming was pretty good, but he had the bad taste to die. Fortunately, the latest James Bond novel, published this year, was written by American thriller writer Jeffery Deaver.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:18 am

That's why we have different genres, I guess. We all prefer something different in our reading material. I love character studies. I like thrillers too, but only if they show me the mental suffering the characters are going through. Stuff like Poe did, I guess. I'd rather read a scene where two people are having a conversation and there are all these heavy things going on that aren't being said, but you see the tension, than to read a scene where the protagonist and the bad guy are chasing each other with speed boats and the focus is on the way the boats fly off the waves. Now if the good guy was in a row boat and the bad guy's boat suddenly appeared on the horizon, and we get to watch his brain in motion while he figures out how to escape, well then yeah, I'd love that. lol.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 am

@rhramsey1214

Gail P
Private First Class

Postby Gail P » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:47 am

I happen to find it easier to write with a male protagonist (although I am female), due to the fact that every story I seem to read that has a female heroine portrays her as superwoman or so stupid that she stumbles onto the answer for every problem. I find it easier to use a male. People seem to accept that he can reason things out, but a female can not. What can I say -- there IS still a double standard whether anyone likes it or not. Look at "Bones" on TV. She can only be a reasoning person if she has a stick up her >>>> and pretends she wasn't born with emotion.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question