[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
stupid question...again... : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

stupid question...again...

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Re: stupid question...again...

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 pm

haha! do they express feelings! nice. yah...they express them alright....ahem...just different from us. whole nother topic lol. not bashing them... just noting differences. MAJOR differences
Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 am

to me, it's never a matter of choice, since the story alone is the determining factor... some of my stories called for a male mc and some for a female...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm with Maia when it comes to how I choose a POV character. I guess really, I don't choose; the character just shows up in my head, fully formed, with a history and a story to tell. :D

Now whether I am any good at showing how a man really thinks and feels, I have no idea. How could I know? But I'd imagine I'm as good at it as the men are at writing a woman's view. I have two big brothers, a husband, father, male cousins, friends, coworkers, teachers. I use what they taught me, and what I've observed them doing and saying. I try to pay attention not just to what they say, but what they do, and then I use that in my writing.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:54 pm

interesting way to look at it. i think when i come up with my books...i'm intrigued by something...and that sparks something...which generally i know right then and there if it will be male or ffemale. so i guess like you guys said...the story is what it is whether male or female. but lately male pov has been heavy on my mind. nice insight everyone. that was probably a big blob of rambling so. sorry ;)
@rhramsey1214

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

I prefer male protagonists, though part of the reason for this is the genres I most love reading. I'd say ninety percent of the books I read have male protagonists. But I also read a fair number of books by women writers, but seldom ones wherein the only real main character is female.

One exception to this is the Stephanie Plum novels. Love those things to death. Another exception is anything written by Agatha Christie.

But I do greatly prefer male protagonists for any sort of action/adventure, simply because I like to become the character while I read, and this just doesn't work for me when that character is female.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:50 pm

@rhramsey1214

Michael1950
Private E-2

Postby Michael1950 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:46 am

James, I too am a Stephanie Plum addict. Janet Evonovich is a great story teller and populates her books with believable characters in what would otherwise be unbelievable situations.

Like most of the commenters in this thread, I enjoy any character that is well written. Without them, fiction is unbelievable and boring (sort of like most of my scribbling :lol: ). James Michener is a prime example of a story teller who made even Mother Nature an interesting and exciting character.

Good luck and Good writing
Mike
Writing is like sex; it's supposed to be fun.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:22 pm

"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Vonny, I understand completely. If I'm in a really burned-out frame of mind, I'll watch a mindless action movie, but I find action scenes in novels excruciatingly boring. Perhaps for that reason I find it difficult to write them myself, but fortunately I don't write action-oriented "thrillers."

I agree with you that men understand men and women understand women, but I confess I enjoy writing female POVs. One of the first readers of my first novel gave it to his adult daughter to read, and she said that in my young female protagonist I had created a character any woman could relate to. So that made me feel good. In my second novel, the protagonist and the antagonist are both female, as are most of the victims. You could almost call it "Women Who Hate Women." (Stieg Larsson entitled his first "Millenium" novel "Men Who Hate Women.")

Although I dislike sweeping generalizations, I believe one could claim that American authors prefer plot-driven stories, while British authors prefer character-driven stories. So when it comes to police procedurals, I read Ian Rankin and David Hewson. I shy away from the American variety.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question