[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
stupid question...again... : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

stupid question...again...

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

stupid question...again...

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 pm

men...do you prefer a male main character? is that easier for you to relate to? women? do you prefer a female main character? just curious...because lately i've been on a male main character kick...(rhonda is not a man)
Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: stupid question...again...

Postby mammamaia » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 pm

i'm a woman and don't have a preference... my 'fun' reading is mystery/thrillers where either gender of protag can carry the tale equally well in the hands of a good writer...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 pm

very true about a good writer
@rhramsey1214

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Same here. It's the story and how well the protagonist carries it.

m3write1day
Private E-1

Postby m3write1day » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm with the others. I have no preference, as long as I like the character. I'm female btw.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:20 pm

so...for everyone...is it the same for reading and writing? are you able to write a book from a male prospective and be confident that a male won't read it and say "um...no. i don't think like that and no guy i know thinks that way. who wrote this?'
@rhramsey1214

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:34 pm

doesn't seem to be a problem for me either way... thankfully [or regrettably] by the time i started writing fiction i'd known enough men intimately enough that i could write from their pov believably, according to my male readers...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:19 pm

haha thankfully or regrettably? yeah... i see where you're coming from. i guess my thing right now is...i find it to be challenging to reallllly try to express feelings that a male would feel? does that make sense? at like nineteen when i first started writing, i gravitated toward writing female main characters. after being married for eight years, now i look at males differently and i'm very intrigued. i see that...(no offense guys) you're very complex..and some men say 'men are simple! we are low maintenance...we require very little...' and i find that to be untrue. anyhow. thanks for the input!!!
@rhramsey1214

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Do men actually express feelings? :?

:lol:

I'm guessing women are less picky about this than men are. Personally, I don't care which POV is used, but I admit to having more female writers on my book shelves than male. I just feel that female writers include elements of the story that matter more to me as a woman. (Not clothes! I'm speaking of things like emotions and character motivation. ;) )
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:29 pm

ooohhh! gotcha. okay...i see where you are coming from. i'm thinking along the lines of actually writing your character...like deciding if it will be male or female. i shouldda been more clear lol
@rhramsey1214

Next

Return to Conversation question