[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
in the zone? : Conversation question • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

in the zone?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: in the zone?

Postby EccentricKim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Previously published writer starting over.

Macky
Private E-1

Postby Macky » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:53 am

After years of trying out what works for me, here's what does: I can't write with sounds on, but I need sounds to get into the zone. Is that weird? How I start writing is I fire up a video in my laptop and open a fresh document or whatever I'm working on, just so my brain is preoccupied enough for a few minutes and then I'll get into this sweet spot where I'm already starting writing and then I realize I'm distracted by the sound of the video I'm half-watching, and then when I turn the video off that's when the real writing begins. And then it should be complete silence from there.

If I start with complete silence I don't accomplish anything. Also, I've tried music, but I get too involved haha. I think it's the voices from the videos that I need.

I have no idea why it works, but it does, so I stick to it. It's different for everybody, of course.
The cause of all things bad is a lack of imagination.

wheelygirl58
Private E-1

Postby wheelygirl58 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:16 am

I realize this is an 'older' question, however, as I was browsing through all the forums, this one really struck me!! Since I live alone, I love the quiet of my space. I love contemporary Christian music :D , yet, when I'm writing, I need to have my 'quiet' :P .
"And we know that in all things God works for the of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Bradley Steven
Private E-1

Postby Bradley Steven » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I like to play instrumentals while I write. Guitar or cello music puts me into the trance I need. Silence is too loud and distracting for me :D

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:32 pm

background music is okay, if it's just instrumental, but if you play vocals, or even instrumentals of songs you know the words to, while writing, you may find the words get in the way of the ones you need to keep flowing for your writing...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

shannan94
Private E-1

Postby shannan94 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:45 pm

I have a playlist on my iPod that consists of two songs, both from the White Oleander score, "Rollercoaster" and "Durer Rabbit." I put it on repeat and let it play for hours. It's calm and just puts me in the right zone (don't know how to better explain it). I only listen to scores (while writing), mostly playlists I create with pieces that aren't dramatic since I just want background music. I love Thomas Newman and Alexander Desplat.

Previous

Return to Conversation question