[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Good guy vs bad guy : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Good guy vs bad guy

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
tristancody
Private E-1

Re: Good guy vs bad guy

Postby tristancody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

"Do good, do better, do your best. Then work hard so that way your good is better than you best."

EcoBeauty
Private First Class

Postby EcoBeauty » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 am

It really depends on the character. I try to make them equally as interesting but, in the end, I focus more on the protagonist because most of my stories are in a first-person perspective or just in third person only it's still in the protagonist's view. I tend to have a handful of antagonists, so it's difficult to concentrate on them all on an equivalent level.

Ben Reader
Private E-2

Postby Ben Reader » Fri May 18, 2012 11:41 pm

I find it easier to build the character of the protagonist. Building up a likable person is easier. Writing someone you hate is a different thing. It is more challenging. But that is the beauty of it. You can create different types of people in your story.

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:58 am

Antagonists are easier for me to write. They're just so deliciously evil like devil chocolate :D while the hero's got...vanilla. :| Though a trick I use to help me write the protagonist POV is to remember that they're a little naive and they ain't bland just give them a couple sprinkles of personality :P and whamo you got yourself a pretty cool guy. 8-)
Though just cause they got personality doesn't mean they're gonna be able to hold out an onslaught against old big bad brutish over here. They're flawed just as their villains but it's how they choose to act on the choices presented to them is what makes them heroic or cruel.

rubina
Private E-1

Postby rubina » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:34 am

b.sherman
Private E-2

Postby b.sherman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 am

bmgaul
Private E-1

Postby bmgaul » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 am

Even he who shall not be named! He was an unwanted orphan, not a child conceived from love. I'm sure people who have grown up in similar situations can relate to him (even if they don't dive off the deep end of the crazy scale in the way he did), and those who grew up in normal loving families could surely empathize with someone less fortunate than themselves. I enjoyed the last couple of the HP books the most as they really explored the origin of Voldemort to the point where he became believable - in the context of that world of course.

In response to the OP, I enjoy writing all types of characters, protags and antags, and everything in between. For me, each character is an extension of "what if" that I can't explore in the real world (or don't want too because I'm not that kind of person). What if instead of grinning and bearing it, I just drop kicked a bully in the face? What if my brother was kidnapped and I had the skills and conviction to fight my way too him rather than have my hands tied by the police as they did or did not resolve the situation? I truly love writing characters, nice or not, that stick to their guns and possess conviction in all their actions, moral or otherwise. So, yeah, 'good guys' and 'bad guys' are equally fun to write! :)

Previous

Return to Conversation question