[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Good guy vs bad guy : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Good guy vs bad guy

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Good guy vs bad guy

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Do you find it difficult to connect with the antagonist in your books? Which do you enjoy working on more? The protagonist or antagonist? Just curious...
Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

max2011
Captain

Re: Good guy vs bad guy

Postby max2011 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:19 pm

It depends on the character's personality. There are some antagonists who are very intriguing and others are just offensive. As for the protagonist: if I don't like the main character in some way, I would not enjoy the story or even be able to finish it.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 am

That's so true...matter of fact...in the past (with the protagonist)...the character was too 'perfect' and I got turned off... and I ended up making them a sociopath. that was probably my first book. i think i prefer realistic flawed characters. and i mean verrrry flawed. maybe everyone does? i don't know...
@rhramsey1214

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:03 pm

I enjoy writing both the good guy characters, and the bad. But I usually prefer my protagonist to the antagonist. I think every character needs to have flaws (since I haven't met a perfect person in real life yet), and in my mind, characters should feel like real people. But just like in real life, I prefer good people with flaws, over the self-serving, cheating, lying, spoiled type characters. I don't find the bad guys any more interesting than the good guys. I like to read about, and root for little people doing big things. Harry Potter, Frodo, Scout and Atticus. I'll take them over Hannibal Lector any day. :shock:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 pm

That is putting it well Updog :lol:

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:43 pm

exactly...
and i sooo agree about the 'underdog'
do you like to do flaws as in..typical idiosyncrasies or...character flaws that leave the reader saying 'whoa...did this character really do that?/express that?' i like both. i like to create loveable people who are out there. or people who are quirky...i like to try to guide people away from being judgmental if that makes sense
@rhramsey1214

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:28 am

No, I believe all the characters in my books come from within myself and the protaganist is usually much like myself, the antagonist is usually cruel but understanable in their decisions when they have her emotional moments. I see this in others work as well, such as Harry Potter. Most people like me can relate to the three misfit best friends. What about Draco? I can relate to him the sense that he looks out for his family and is protective of himself and his friends. Of course, he is mean and cruel but every evil character has qualities and traits that a lot of people can relate to.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:10 pm

i enjoy working on the whole story, regardless of who or what i'm writing about at the moment... if i didn't, i wouldn't be writing it...

enjoying the writing has nothing to do with whether i'd like the character and what s/he does if they were real...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 pm

I don't usually write about good guys and bad guys. I usually write about two people who are on opposite sides of an issue.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:33 pm

@rhramsey1214

Next

Return to Conversation question