[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Is blogging credible? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is blogging credible?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
updog
General of the Army

Re: Is blogging credible?

Postby updog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:20 pm

I love visiting writer blogs. Not only are they chuck full of advice, but they've also taught me a lot about the business end of writing. Our own Lydia Sharp has one of the best.

I don't have a blog because I have nothing to say. No advice. No experience. And no desire. But I sure appreciate those of you who do.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:49 am

My blog is personal and eclectic, not a business-oriented or platform-building or promotional blog. I do rants about mothering a kid with ADHD & Asperger's Syndrome, I post fridge-gallery art works by my kid & me, it's mainly essays about life in general. It's fun, & it's like the lady said previously, about giving rather than getting. One day I may try to do a more "professional" blog as a writer, but that's not a goal quite yet. If I were in a position where I wanted to do that, I would research by looking at A LOT OF BLOGS, and seeing which ones look and feel most professional and credible, which ones seem to be doing everything right, then model my blog after them.

I like the Motivation For Creation blog, by a forum member here, she has these great colourful fish you can feed by clicking your mouse button. :)

thenonwritingwriter
Private E-1

Postby thenonwritingwriter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 am

Lindsay
http://thenonwritingwriter.wordpress.com/
Twitter: NonWritingWritr

flyinghigh0905
Private E-1

Postby flyinghigh0905 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:07 pm

I have a personal blog where I mostly write about my crochet projects, sometimes I post responses to writing prompts or whatever. Nothing specific. However, one of the most annoying things I've noticed about blogs is how people seem to believe that the only way to have a good blog is to post picture, and maybe a line of "wisdom," which is usually just superficial. Once, I got a comment on a blog entry that said something like "This is interesting, but it would be better if you posted more pictures." I was like what? I'm a writer, not a photographer. I tend to believe that most people won't even bother looking at a blog if there's too much text and no pictures. So sometimes I feel "what's the point?" about blogs. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place for good blogs. I should see if some of my favorite authors have them, like it was suggested.
"Come on get higher, loosen your lips. Faith and desire and the swing of your hips. Pull me down hard and drown me in love." -Matt Nathanson

Skwerly
Private E-1

Postby Skwerly » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:22 pm

“Credible” is vague. If you like it, and others read it, then it is. I like to blog, and have a few that I try and balance. It’s a way for me to put stuff out there that really doesn’t fit in any other category. You can use it as a journal, as a rant platform, etcetera. They are neat!
I love creepy trees!

thurman5852
Private E-1

Postby thurman5852 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes it is.

I blog just because I want to. It's not a professional anything. And I never know what I'm going to post. But the number of times I get told that something I've written has lifted another's spirit amazes me. That brings me joy.

If you are going to blog for professional reasons make sure your posts are the best they can be. Triple check the facts, grammar, and relevance of each post. You never know who may come by and read.

All the best,
Elizabeth

Michael1950
Private E-2

Postby Michael1950 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Writing is like sex; it's supposed to be fun.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 pm

That makes sense. I wanted to start a blog, but I don't think I'm ready. Maybe until the distant future....

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Previously published writer starting over.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question