[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are you a good friend? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are you a good friend?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
AnnabelleCharbit
Private E-1

Are you a good friend?

Postby AnnabelleCharbit » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 pm

If a friend wrote a novel would you buy it?
A x

When a girl with obsessive compulsive disorder falls in love with a sociopath, she fights for her sanity and her life.
http://www.ridiculouslife.net/

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Are you a good friend?

Postby mammamaia » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

i don't see that as a required aspect of friendship... if the friend was a good one to me, s/he wouldn't expect me to buy the book if i didn't want to read it and would only do so to up the sales count...

so, my answer is 'no, i wouldn't buy it just because a friend wrote it'... i would buy it only if it was something i'd buy and read no matter who wrote it...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 am

I'd want to buy it just to encourage, but I have to agree with maia. I'd only buy it if it was a book that,
on review, interested me.

Elizabeth :)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 am

If I thought I'd love reading it, yes.

But I give novels to my friends, and my writer friends give novels to me, so it's never been an issue.

wootaah
Private E-1

Postby wootaah » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 am

Yes. Even if it was not something I liked. I would buy it because it would be another memento of my friendship, were to I lose my friend, I would have that and the memories.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Same here.

rhondarightbrainlefty
Corporal

Postby rhondarightbrainlefty » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 pm

I would definately buy the book no matter what... I would only hope the friend would be open (not defensive) to what I have to say if I have something to say as I would only be saying it out of love...
Just Beneath the Surface I
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/154778
@rhramsey1214

FBaron
Corporal

Postby FBaron » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Of course I'd buy it, whether it appealed to me or not.

IlsaPup
Private E-2

Postby IlsaPup » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 pm

If the book was something I could read... I would buy it. I can't do horror stuff. Can't. Can't... can't. My imagination grabs hold of that stuff & I don't sleep for days! Silly... yes but it's part of my charm :roll: So if any of my buds write anything about blood, guts & gore, demons, zombies, werewolves, etc... I can't read it. Of course, my friends know this so they wouldn't ask me to read it... they'd tease me about it & laugh a lot.

Anything else though & I'll buy it. I'll read it. I'll tell them if they really want to know what I truly think (again my friends know me well enough to say "I want the real truth" or "I want the nice truth".

It's all good.

j t hall
Master Sergeant

Postby j t hall » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:36 am

I would buy it as encouragement (and I'd expect him/her to do the same). Would I read it? I'd give it a look. If it was interesting, yes; otherwise, no.
It's amazing what we can do when we stop accepting limits.

http://www.carolynsworld.wordpress.com
http://www.carolyncarceo.wordpress.com

Next

Return to Conversation question