[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing Personality : Conversation question • Page 15 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing Personality

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
alaiyo
Private E-1

RE: Writing Personality

Postby alaiyo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm

My best writing friend (the one who's honest with me) called my latest attempt "homely" -- not as in plain, but as in the Last Homely House of Elrond.  I can live with that.  --Beth

harmony
Private E-1

Re: Writing Personality

Postby harmony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 pm

That's why I enjoyed reading readers digest because of the writing from an ordinary person.
Thanks,

JohnBriggs
Private E-1

Postby JohnBriggs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 am

If my writing were to take a personality it would say " I am a living breathing entity, yes you bore me, but its my time to shine."

readlorey
Private E-1

Postby readlorey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:00 am

My writing personality depends on what the voices in my head are doing and their mood. And that varies from one day to another.

Bridget O' Brady
Private E-2

Postby Bridget O' Brady » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

My writing style is defiantly different. I put words into sentences but jumble them up into complex almost unreadable sentences, I'm trying hard to work on that. Another thing is that I write odd stories, I mean who writes a story that takes place in Ireland that includes a forbidden clover, an elf, two evil elves, a regular girl, and a hot air balloon. Maybe I'll post it later.

blackenstein
Private E-1

Postby blackenstein » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:16 am

What I tend to do is create a set of "rules" of the universe that my characters/story/etc take place in. Then I just let the characters live in it. They tell me what they want to do, the place tells me what it wants to do, the weather, the "feeling" etc. So what I do, in honor of that, is just work on the craft itself; to make sure I can properly express what everything in this literary "universe" wants me to do. The rules are usually just...what I mean for them exist. I say to the characters "okay, I want to talk about war" and I want do it "by talking about dogs" and they go "okay, we'll exist in this set of rules" and I just write it however it needs to be written. Maybe sentence fragments are necessary if "fragmentation" is a theme, etc. It is not until I do my revisions that I take a little more control. But the first draft is always whatever the characters, the world, wants.

TheBrianJihad
Private E-1

Postby TheBrianJihad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm

I don't want to sound cliche by saying I try to write something I would want to read. I think great writing needs distinguishable personality and character. I try to show influence of other writers, but not parrot their style. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one that thinks my writing is good and that nobody else likes it. Not that I take it personal, but writing is definately something that other people need to be able to understand and relate to. Nobody wants to read something and constantly ask themselves "why am I still reading this?" Feeling a personal connection with others is what makes us spiritual beings as opposed to biological equations, and making that connection through writing is the great art of writing.

LittleEden
Sergeant

Postby LittleEden » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 am

I write as plain as the Texas prairie I live on with the occasional burst of color.

Neets
Master Sergeant

Postby Neets » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:34 am

I must relay what the voices in my head have dictated. As per their instructions.

Right now, they are playing Jenga.

D3x3001
Private E-1

Postby D3x3001 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 am

I have a cold and distant personality when it comes to writing. I feel the need to be writing something constantly but at the same time I never produce the good stuff unless I haven't written in a while and I'm all alone. I can go days without a thought of writing but then the next day I'll churn out several pages worth of material and feel like it was nothing. Is this a personality or just a habit?

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question