[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing Personality : Conversation question • Page 14 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing Personality

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
MonikaM
Private E-2

Re: Writing Personality

Postby MonikaM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi,

explosive, overly romantic and fast paced are my writing personalities.

MonikaM

gumboWriters
Private E-2

Postby gumboWriters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 am

descriptions of personalities comes out with proper usage of words and phrases.

severineyung
Private E-1

Postby severineyung » Sat May 15, 2010 3:39 pm

"
1)Slapdash Scribe: a misplaced comma doesn't concern you, double-checking facts is too time-consuming, etc.
2)Smart-Aleck: use a lot of humor (alliteration, puns, jokes) to fill out articles
3)Over-researcher: trouble getting articles in on time because you're still looking for more sources
4)Writerly Writer: "It's my job to fill the reader's head with beautiful imagery", don't like to be straightforward
5)Diva: fuss at every moved comma and cry foul if the editor swaps a single word
6)Perfectionist: tearing out hair over every word and quote, miss deadlines seeking perfection
"

I'm everything except the over-researcher and slap dash scribe. Mostly "Writerly writer" and "Perfectionist", though. Oh man, perfectionist....0_0 Sometimes I even enjoy editing and heartlessly nitpicking even more than writing...that scares me.

In general, I love using imagery, dynamic and fitting verbs, whenever they're appropriate. I adore conveying the 'exact' feelings and emotions my characters are feeling using the most precise descriptions and images as possible. Oh, I'm very fond of exploiting good rhythm and pace as well: slow and meandering for peaceful, comfortable scenes; short and clipped for action scenes and moments of suspense.

Scenes I enjoy writing most are action, mystery and suspense, and emotionally ambiguous or touching ones.

rangercookies
Private E-1

RE: Writing Personality

Postby rangercookies » Wed May 19, 2010 8:56 am

Character, character, character!
Lots of dialogue and character growth push my stories. A snarky, cynical voice, or a gentle, accepting one, depending.

Alessandra
Private E-1

Postby Alessandra » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Sad. Just sad. I mean, all my characters have depressing pasts and I just let it fall into the story.

AndreaClimbing
Private E-1

Postby AndreaClimbing » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:11 am

Romantic, a tendency to become sentimental (nasty habit, have to work on that). Writer´s moodswings with a range from ecstatic (I love my story, this is what has been trying to get out of me all those years) to thoroughly depressed (my story is just one endless procession of clichés, my style sucks and the story has nothing special, I´m a waste of space as a writer). Desperate (Thinking of a complex plot is great, but how on earth am I going to actually write the story?) Obsessive about learning the craft, reading four writing books at a time and reading novels with a notebook beside me, looking for courses to do when I finish my current one. Itching to finish my first draft so I can start revising. Writing my novel in two languages to keep more publishing options open.
Let´s face it... I´m a bit pathetic. :)

DreamingWriterGirl
Sergeant Major of the Army

Location: Stumbling through the dark (WHACK) and I found the coffee table.

Postby DreamingWriterGirl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:48 am

My writing personality can be summed up in one word, Spazmatic. Today, I might be in a heated debate with my characters, whereas tomorrow, I'll be gently comforting one of them who has been wounded in a fight. Never can tell which voice I'll be using. That's what makes this stuff fun.

Gorandius
Private E-1

Postby Gorandius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:41 pm

I know I'm too late for the June issue, but I wanted to post this anyway...

Quite a striking question that I honestly believe every author and poet should be asked at least once in their career. Though when it comes to me, I'd have to say my personality has the potential and bearing for diversity. It could at times spell eloquent love, use chop logic on characters, be gratuitously violent, or be abhorrently disturbing. I've read many stories, poems, essays, history books, etc etc - and have tried to leave them with some sort of influence upon my mind or perhaps the moral of the lesson seeping into my brain's sulci. I hope for a mix of both, really.

greenpeach06
Private E-1

Postby greenpeach06 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 am

alaiyo
Private E-1

RE: Writing Personality

Postby alaiyo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm

My best writing friend (the one who's honest with me) called my latest attempt "homely" -- not as in plain, but as in the Last Homely House of Elrond.  I can live with that.  --Beth

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question