[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do You Write In Multiple Genres? : Conversation question • Page 8 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
avalanche_of_elysium
Sergeant First Class

Re: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby avalanche_of_elysium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:54 am

Lady Kate
Private E-1

Postby Lady Kate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm still very new to the whole writing scene, but I VERY much feel that I've got two genres whispering to my writing senses! Fantasy/paranormal, and Love stories. I want to write both! Great ones of each!~ Wish me luck ;)

jcchavis
Private E-1

Postby jcchavis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 am

I have written a first draft of a mystery novel, working on another. I've written several short stories in that genre, and a couple of others in the horror genre. I'm pretty new to writing, just getting serious about it last year, but those are my favorite genres to read so it stand to reason that's what I write.

dmarie84
Private E-1

Postby dmarie84 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm attempting to branch out to help "exercise" my writing muscles. I used to write only historical fiction, and while that's still the majority of what I write (and my passion) I've started working on more fantasy stories (still with a bit of a historical aspect to them). And I've got an idea for a horror short story, which is REALLY out of my comfort zone. But the idea won't leave me alone and I think I ought to try it and explore the "darker" side of my psyche. :P

Bridget O' Brady
Private E-2

Postby Bridget O' Brady » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:47 pm

It has really helped my writing. Everyone has their own style but putting that spin in several different genres can be difficult especially if you are used to one genre. I started out writing only historical fiction but it soon turned into fantasy also and a few literary and "unclassifiable" works.

Bridget O' Brady
Private E-2

Postby Bridget O' Brady » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Yes and No. I usually write within literary fiction . I usually write in different generes within my stories like "Cobblesones" for instance which is currently posted on the literary fiction forum. I consider that a historical fiction fantasy romace is could go on and on. So I don't think anyone really is a classified genre.

lvcabbie
Master Sergeant

Postby lvcabbie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:09 am

Well, in addition to all my books and novels, I'm currently writing my memoirs. I've centered on my years in the US Army and am posting them on my blog.
I wrote An Army Ocean Voyage and then followed it up a day or two ago with Entering the Army. I also posted another part yesterday about arriving at Fort Ord.
All are welcome to drop by, read, enjoy and comment.

sarrot
Private E-2

Postby sarrot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 am

I try to write in multiple genres. I for example posted last night "The Man Beyond the Way" on the Horror Section, but its a poem. I also put a poem in the Poetry Section "The Blank Band" which is a sort of philisophical poem. I have been putting many of my posts on Literary Fiction though.

DreamingWriterGirl
Sergeant Major of the Army

Location: Stumbling through the dark (WHACK) and I found the coffee table.

Postby DreamingWriterGirl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm working on a science fiction novel at this moment, but I've written some historical fiction, fantasy fiction, YA fiction, and children's fiction. I've also written a couple of nonfiction pieces. So yes, I write in multiple genres. Just whatever catches my fancy at the moment.

deadpoet_rene
Private E-1

Postby deadpoet_rene » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes. I primarily write horror and supernatural fiction. However, having studied Arthurian legends and history for over 12 years stemming from pure obsession, I also have a novel in the works based solely on this subject matter. In addition, I have written in multiple formats: stageplays, screenplays, poetry, short stories, freestyle, novellas, novels... The variety keeps it interesting.
No one knows whether or not he is a writer unless he has tried writing at night. [H.P. Lovecraft]

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question