[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do You Write In Multiple Genres? : Conversation question • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby mammamaia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:05 pm

i write in multiple genres and multiple mediums...

Virgina-Foxhound
Private E-2

Postby Virgina-Foxhound » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:01 pm

All right, I'll bite.

The genres I write are mostly fiction such as Comedy and Middle grade but I'm getting into others such as Drama, Historical fiction, Sci-Fi and Suspense, Mystery and Western will be the next ones I try. As for screenwriting I do animation, comedy, family and live action. Another genre I've been doing for a change of pace is also Non fiction such as doing my first memoir/biography and an essay.

femalescribe
Private First Class

RE: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby femalescribe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Screenwriting fascinates me, but terrifies me. I don't know if I am ready to try it, dialogue is still my biggest nightmare in fiction. :emoticon:

Tara69
Private E-1

Postby Tara69 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:02 am

I bore easy, so I write in multiple genres to keep my writing interesting to me. The problem I'm having is I have several books started with only one or two chapters. I already finished novels in all the different genres but now I can't seem to pass the Block in any of them. Do you know what is wrong?

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:31 am

The genre or form of writing, for me, comes from the idea or image that makes me want to start writing. I never seem to have a preconcieved format, such as "Hmmm, today I'll write science fiction... now how can I make my ideas fit that genre?" It always goes in the other direction. My only published work has been either poetry, art criticism or opinion pieces on art-related issues. Criticism & opinion-oriented writing are great discipline because you know you are going to offend somebody somewhere, and it's not just subjective. You have to really believe in what you are saying, and you have to be able to back it up with facts, with real knowledge of the subject, rather than just rant in an uninformed way. My unpublished writing has been non-existent for many years, but it includes some poetry & some stories that might fit somewhere in the fantasy area, as well as non-genre-specific stories.

I think I have a sense of what paranormal romance is, but what would be an example of urban fantasy?

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:32 am

Thank you, updog. Long ago, I tried writing something that might now be called urban fantasy. It involved a leprachaun in a busy city. The few people who knew about it all thought it was just too weird. Maybe I should dust it off & try it out now!

Cmofield
Corporal

Postby Cmofield » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:22 am

I think I put a little bit of everything into every story I write. They all have a little mystery, suspense, drama, comedy, and action. Any good story should I think, at least if you're following humans around anyways.

My preference is action placed in an urban fantasy world. I suppose that is a melding of different genres when I stop to think about it. I'm not sure you can pull of a pure genre. Life is too messy to fit in just one category.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Glenn Raymond
Private E-1

Postby Glenn Raymond » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:10 am

Yes, I do write in multiple genres. I would get bored stiff if I didn't. My mind is always churning, forever brainstorming so I end up creating a variety of topics in many genres. I love Horror, this is always just under the surface, Non-fiction topics continually get attention and I blog those for now, but really want to create a career of writing. I also love humor and try to weave that in where I can. Advertising is another area where I would love to get some exposure.

Writing in all of these various genres has really helped my typing speed, spelling, and punctuation. I still need help with many things though and know there is always something to learn, and something to teach in any genre. So my personal motto is: When there is money to be made, diversify and prosper. (Should that have quotation marks around it?)

By the way, this is a great question. Thank You. :emoticon:

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question