[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Do You Write In Multiple Genres? : Conversation question • Page 9 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Mr. Fred
Private E-1

Re: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby Mr. Fred » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Multiple Genres, yes. To date I have won many writing contests in different genres, but still can't find an agent! Any ideas??? Mr. Fred

JAG1971
Private E-1

Postby JAG1971 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I like to write in multiple genres. I primarily write fantasy but enjoy writing sci-fi and horror as well The novel I have been working on for an ambarrassingly long time is YA fantasy. I need to get back to work on it just to get my daughter off my back. I am hopelessly blocked and need to go back and do some serious revision so I can change the direction the story is going in. I also have a few short stories that I'm working on for writing contests or just my own entertainment. Unfortunately, I don't finish much of what I start, which frustrates me. Is it possible to have too many ideas? I'm certainly not complaining but I tend to abandon whatever I'm working on to chase after the new ideas. I am also considering trying my hand at some freelance writing for kids magazines or sci-fi/fantasy magazines.

Thomas McManus
Private E-1

Postby Thomas McManus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 am

wilbur4c
Private E-2

Postby wilbur4c » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:40 pm

buzzinbeelow
Private E-1

Postby buzzinbeelow » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 am

It says something that this topic has been active for so long. I think I'm going to like it here.

Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio edited an very peculiar anthology last year, which I reckon many of you will dig. It's called, simply, Stories. There's no genre qualification at all, just the direction to the contributors to think about the phrase, "And then what happened?". I was drawn by the presence of Joyce Carol Oates and Roddy Doyle (and a new novella by Gaiman). Doyle's story is especially wonderful, even without a strong Gaelic dialect.

As to the thread's question: I write poetry, fantasy, literary and short/flash fiction and interviews. The interviews feed the poetry. That surprised me at first. I think your brain gets so overwhelmed by exposure to a new form of thinking, taking apart the words of another person, that it seeks wholeness. I don't know.

I also edit my mother's writing for clarity. I doubt there's ever been such a labyrinth of unnecessary spacings and capitalization, or half-formed thought-sentences.

Bee

SuperSchmuck
Private E-1

Postby SuperSchmuck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Writing in different genres definitely helps a writer grow, and I have tried branching out. It's so hard when you first try it, which makes you really think and come up with wild ideas. I first started my writing in War, Fantasy/Adventure and Action/Adventure stories, then I realized how bored I was getting with myself and I've been trying to write stories with as little violence as possible to make sure I don't get into my old habits. Straight up romance is a road I still won't go down but I am trying different drama styles which is quite the conundrum for me. Oops, I rambled, so to finish, I suggest everyone writes in at least three different genres, just to provide some variety for yourself if not the reader.
"...and so it will go on, so long as children are gay and innocent and heartless." - James M. Barrie

buzzinbeelow
Private E-1

Postby buzzinbeelow » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:30 am

Super Schmuck, have you read the biography of J.M. Barrie called Neverland? It goes into the origins of the Peter Pan story, which was inspired by the writings of the grandfather of Daphne du Maurier (the author of Rebecca) Scary stuff!

Bee

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 am

Being able to write in multiple genres gives you an added incentive. Of course, I think that there is always a genre that we tend to write more on. I usually write fiction but tend to follow poetry more.

Elliots
Private E-1

Postby Elliots » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes, I write in multiple genres.

As to media, I've written short stories, long short stories, and a full length manuscript. All fiction. But I've also written comic scripts. WIth comic scripts you're telling the artist what to draw. You develop the plot, characters, and dialogue, but you also have to clearly define the setting for each panel and the camera angle (I always feel like a movie director when doing that). The other oddity about comic scripts is that each panel is a point frozen in time so you need multiple panels to show progression. The other fun part with writing comic scripts is you have to understand cliffhangers. It's best to have the last panel on each page (until the last page) a cliffhanger.

JMcMurray
Private E-1

Postby JMcMurray » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:28 am

I write in both Mystery/Thriller and Scifi/Fantasy. Right now I am focusing on the Mystery end, as my scifi tends to lean that way as well. I do have a heck of a fantasy trilogy that I want to write, but there is a lot of written development going on with that one.

Previous

Return to Conversation question