[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do You Write In Multiple Genres? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41 am

How has branching out in unexpected directions helped your writing, or what genres would you like to try?

novice_writer
Private E-1

Re: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby novice_writer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:41 am

When I started writing poetry heavily I really started to improve in my descriptions in other genres that I wrote. It really helped. I think writing a straight romance is helping me in my fantasy as I try to develop threads of romantic interest as sub-plots. (What fantasy would be complete without the hero or heroine falling in love by the end of the series?)

Lexi
Commander in Chief

RE: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby Lexi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Writing non-fiction special interest articles helped me with my fiction-writing. When writing non-fiction, it's all me, so I can clearly see my own personality coming through the words. In fiction, I have to make sure the characters are shining, not the author, so I scrutinize my word choice much more closely. Is this really how so-and-so would see things, or say things, or think about things?

More specifically in fiction, I branched out to other sub-genres of speculative fiction. At first, I had the attitude of "sci-fi or nothing." When I finally tried fantasy, I discovered I liked it. Then I tried military sci-fi instead of hard sci-fi. Liked that, too. And recently, I started a project completely opposite of anything else I've done thus far. No aliens, elves, explosions, or even weapons. Just normal people with normal problems, set on Earth in present day. It's been a challenge, to say the least, trying to keep each scene compelling and intense without the crutch of combat and life-or-death scenarios at every turn. But I definitely feel I'll be a better writer because of it.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

yes... both multiple genres and multiple mediums...

i write/have written:
ad copy
website copy
song lyrics
poetry
plays
screenplays
short stories [mainstream and x-rated]
novels/novels-in-progress [various genres, including historical]
non-fiction books/articles [memoirs, general interest, etc.]
etc.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

yes... both multiple genres and multiple mediums...

i write/have written:
ad copy
website copy
song lyrics
poetry
plays
screenplays
short stories [mainstream and x-rated]
novels/novels-in-progress [various genres, including historical]
non-fiction books/articles [memoirs, general interest, etc.]
etc.

Ghostwriter71
Corporal

RE: Do You Write In Multiple Genres?

Postby Ghostwriter71 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 pm

I started taking writing seriously in 1994 with my first short story. Mind you, it was sci-fi fan fiction, a Star Trek story to be honest. My fellow Trek fans loved it so I kept going, writing other Trek stories, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and a few original short stories. One of them was a sci-fi comedy that was made into a short film that was shot, among other places, at my college and at a Maryland SF convention. The following year, it was sold at that very same convention, allowing us to raise $350 for a homeless charity that we supported at the time. At $15 a copy, sales were impressive for a day and a half. This was 1996-1997.

So, being even more inspired I continued with fan fiction until 2002, when I called it quits and decided to try my hand at a novel intended for real publication. Obviously, everyone assumed it would be SF. Nope, it was a ghost story. I cringe at the idea of calling it a horror novel. There are a few scenes that might make the reader's hair stand up but it's a morality play, a tale that speaks to the heart. My second novel in progress, also a ghost tale, leans more toward horror.

I was honored late last year when my Indiana Jones short story from 2000 finally made it to theraider.net:
http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory ... php?id=953. Indiana Jones and the Towers of the Empty Quarter by Phil Giunta.

I am not oblivious to the negative connotation that fan fiction carries in some circles. Professional writers dismiss it but I can tell you there are few better training grounds for a writer to hone their skills and find other writers with similar interests. I wouldn't have given up the experience for anything. Were it not for that, I would not have met a good friend and prolific writer 15 years ago who is now publishing my first real novel.

Ghostwriter71
Corporal

Postby Ghostwriter71 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Ghostwriter71
Corporal

Postby Ghostwriter71 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm

I don't know that writing multiple genres has made any difference in my writing skill. I write what I enjoy reading. My skill has increased, sure. That is because I've hit that one million word mark and read every book of almost every genre I can get my hands on (still can't tolerate romances and westerns but that leaves plenty of others).

Next

Return to Conversation question