My Dream Collaboration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LJRowley
Private E-1

RE: My Dream Collaboration

Postby LJRowley » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:22 am

I would have to choose Neil Gaiman. His style, wit, humour and imagination are more than enough reason. He also seems pretty down to earth, which lends itself to actually being able to work with him on an equal footing.

SapphireEmbers
Private E-2

Postby SapphireEmbers » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:38 pm

If I were given this choice in the real word...I would be at my ultimate writing peak and pleasure working with Stephen King and Wes Craven. They are both well beyond advanced in their talent. Both are passionate writers truly devoted to the craft. King has always done well with plot by making his stories seem real enough they could actually take place, with just enough of an element of fiction to help you think they probably won't. As a horror movie buff, Craven has been the only writer who's ever been able to get into my subconscious enough to give me nightmares. King always gives me a feeling of satisfaction that once again his writing has lived up to his name..he's like my best friend, always there, rarely changing but yet always new and exciting things to learn from him. Craven understands what really gets to people, he gets inside our heads and I love it. A King-Craven collaboration would be beyond amazing!!!

abstract
Private E-2

Postby abstract » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:45 pm

My dream collaboration would be with Anne Bishop, though Neil Gaiman would be a close second. I respect both writers a great deal, and both are incredibly good at what they do. My books read like comics, as do Gaiman's (not suprising- he wrote The Sandman graphic novel series), and I love switching up gender roles, which is something that happens a lot in Bishop's work. Both also know how to make their works FUNNY (gotta love Bishop's snarky dialogue)!

P.I. Barrington
Private E-1

Postby P.I. Barrington » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Well, there are so many I'd have to pick a combination: Tolkien, Michener, Colleen McCullough, Mary Stewart, Taylor Caldwell, and Stephen King. It wouldn't hurt to have Milton, Shakespeare, Shelley, Keats, Herodotus, any and all of the Greek poets and philosophers from Thales to Aristotle to Aristophanes.(Yep, I read all of 'em and then some!) Ok, I'd actually die if I could get any combination of the above in a room with myself and a computer so this entire alternate reality would be a moot point.

Ah, but we can dream...

P.I. Barrington

shorty
Corporal

Postby shorty » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:02 pm

My dream collaboration would be with either Madeleine L'Engle(who wrote the Crosswicks Journal Trilogy-autobiographical lit.), or Marjorie Holmes(who wrote Two From Gallilee/Three From Galilee). What a treat it would be either way!!!

WBNH
Private E-1

Postby WBNH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 pm

For the practice of witty situations - I would love to collaborate with Mark Twain...

...but for my style of storytelling, I think Cherie Priest...

Bon2007
Private E-1

Postby Bon2007 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

I would collaborate with Canadian author Margaret Atwood! She is quite simply one of the most thought provoking writers I know. I love how she can get deep inside your head, her thoughts flow onto the paper. When I read her poetry and short stories I feel as if I am there.....right in the story or poem. She is a vivid writer, one who is able to describe situations/things so clearly. Yes, she's my mentor, has been for many years. I do believe she is able to remain one of good humour despite some of her deep work! Kudos to Ms. Atwood!

Smiles,

Bonstich2007

www.bonstich.com

Don't let the website addy fool you! *wink*

KeithMN
Lieutenant

Postby KeithMN » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:09 pm

I've thought about what my answer would be for days. I'm quite a perfectionist so I like my answers to be precise and not come back a few days later and say, "Oh, wait! I just thought of someone else!"

Honestly, it would be a pleasure to discuss writing and the works of all the remarkable authors mentioned in this thread. I have so much to learn and I would enjoy the conversations. But, truthfully, I wouldn't want to collaborate on a novel with anyone. I like knowing that it's my work alone.

If I had to stop being difficult though, and just answer the question, I would choose:

Mark Twain for the non-living author and the very prolific Jerry B. Jenkins for the living author.

calligraphy
Private E-1

Postby calligraphy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Throughout high school and university I have always preferred to work alone -- with best results.

I think I would not feel comfortable collaborating on a book with another author. Besides...not
everyone gets my sense of humor. ;)

I admire authors such as Arundhati Roy and Yann Martel.

Happy writing!

shayd
Lieutenant

Postby shayd » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:19 am

I suppose it all depends on how one defines "collaborate." Brainstorming ideas and plot complications for a story and building off of one another's ideas, I'd love to be on panel with the likes of Roger Zelazny, Arthur C. Clark, Edgar Allen Poe, Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Jules Verne, J.R.R Tolkein, Larry Niven, Alexander Dumas and Rober Louis Stevenson (just to name a few). But when it comes down to putting words on paper, framing a scene, and crafting every word from the mouth of every character, I wouldn't work with any of them.

I've tried collaborations and, while for non-fiction things are fine, for fiction, I've just never been satisfied with the results. Unlike music, where different voices may sing in harmony, in writing (or at least my writing), mixed author peices tend to show their lineage a bit too much.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question