My Dream Collaboration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
desertrose
Private E-2

RE: My Dream Collaboration

Postby desertrose » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:49 am

My dream is to collaborate on a screenplay with Denis Leary. I find his writing to be direct and edgy. His dry wit and no fear attitude would be just what I need to have the courage to finish something I've been trying to write for some time.

Ames

Postby Ames » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:03 pm

It would have to be Charles Dickens. I admire his narrative style, and he had this ability to create characters that not only seem real, they stay with you long after you put the book down.

Lillian
Private E-1

Postby Lillian » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:40 pm

I would have to say my dream collaboration would be with Anne Rice or Maureen Dowd. Both of these women write in a style that's easy to read and enjoy. Ms. Dowd makes me laugh frequently at her 'out there' perceptions on all things political; and, Ms. Rice tells such a grand story in whatever fantasy land her mind tends to visit.

Either of these women could share tons of information with me on the hows and whys of writing. I'd love to be able to go to those dark places that Anne Rice goes, even if she has said she won't be writing any more of the Vampire and Witches tales. (In this same vein - silly pun/go away - Stephen King would be someone I'd have to include in my collaborations.)

Collaborating with either of these 3 writers would have my mind doing acrabats, I'm certain, but what a tumble it would be. Who knows what gems lay in this brain of mine just waiting for someone with some know how to rip it out.

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:50 am

These are all great. Thanks to everyone for stopping in and discussing. What a wide variety of choices.

Brian

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:17 am

I hesitate to even dream aloud, but if this unworthy amateur could pair up with Francine Rivers, she would be in absolute heaven. Francine Rivers's novels are more or less the only romance novels I can read without gagging. I simply don't enjoy romance novels despite their overwhelming popularity. But Francine Rivers's novels are full of suspense, drama and adventure that encompass the romance, making it deeper and more poignant. I would love to work with her if only to learn from her truly transcendental style.

sylvie
Private First Class

Postby sylvie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:12 am

I would like to collaborate with Sylvia Browne. I have a big interest in the afterlife, reincarnation, Angels. I believe all of these things exist and are very active. I know that I am psychic. I believe we would be able to put our heads together and share information and offer it to people who share our views!

chelly
Private First Class

Postby chelly » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:17 pm

I could not pick just one. I know everyone is going to get tired of hearing this, but J>K> Rowling and Laurell K. Hamilton. To me, I think they are great writers. Both have great imagionations, and I know I could learn form them both. Both have a differnt styles.

aspiringwriter21
Private E-2

Postby aspiringwriter21 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:09 pm

I would love to collaborate with Harper Lee and maybe Alicia Keys. I would say Harper Lee because she has one of the best writing styles I have ever seen. When I read "To Kill A Mockingbird," I really loved it, and her book really makes you think about things that go on in every day life. I would also have to say Alicia Keys because not only is she an excellent singer, but she is an excellent writer as well. :)

SDToad
Private E-1

Postby SDToad » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:43 am

The first one that pops into my head would be Diana Wynne Jones. Have any of you heard of her? Her writing style is relaxed and fun. She doesn't seem worried about structures at all, but she doesn't have any mistakes. Her stories are funny, original, thought-provoking. I would love working with her someday.

Sheri2867
Sergeant

Postby Sheri2867 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:50 pm

Jeffrey Eugenides

When I read Middlesex for the first time, I couldn't sleep. That's when I knew that I was in love with his writing and his characters--I could not get them out of my head. I have read the book twice and continue to go back and read favourite passages and/or chapters.
Before I read Middlesex, I was strictly writing chick lit novels and fluff pieces on dating and romance. After Middlesex, I became interested in writing a historical fiction novel so I would love to collaborate on such work with Mr. Eugenides. I consider him a genius and can't wait for his next book--he's taking forever!!

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question