My Dream Collaboration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
CrimzonVillainry
Private E-1

RE: My Dream Collaboration

Postby CrimzonVillainry » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:41 pm

I'd have to say Dean Koontz.

I just love his style. It's deceptively hard to emulate. I love the way he writes, the way he paces his stories, and the little tidbits of swerves he includes in them. I have to say I am enamored with how he develops his characters and I have fallen obsessed with his cliff hangers.

It would be really great to be able to work on a piece with him. I think we would take a page out of his "The Taking" piece and reinvent one establised paradigm or another. Or we could follow in the footsteps of Life Expectancy.

olivia
Private E-1

Postby olivia » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:05 am

I'd love to collaborate with Stephen King to write a fantasy novel. He'd walk me through unfound doorways that would reveal the worlds and the lives of mystical characters, one that would be mine; Mr. King would guide him as if he were his own.

Burning Leaf
Private E-1

dream collab--to write with King--I agree with JABarnes & olivia

Postby Burning Leaf » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 pm

I've always thought of writing as a solitary activity but it's liberating to dream of collaborating with one of the most prolific authors alive--Stephen King. Since he writes 2000 words a day (while I struggle with a tenth of that)--he would keep me on my toes, so to speak. The challenge to keep pace would be rigorous and rewarding, I imagine. Plus King is a master of plot--precisely one of the more challenging aspects of my own fiction; I tend to do better with lyrical passages, so perhaps the combination would work out. Lastly, bumping heads with a person as intelligent and personable as King (to judge by the persona in his non-fiction book "On Writing") would I'm sure prove more than enlightening--and just plain fun to boot.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:04 am

I'd like to collaborate with George Will. He has a stunning vocabulary and would force me to up my level of writing one hundred fold.

John

alleycat
Private First Class

Postby alleycat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:34 am

John Grisham. While I like the characters and the basic storyline of his novels, I've sometimes groaned about the last third of his books, especially the endings. I would love to have a chance to talk to him. Plus, as collaborator, sharing in the royalty check wouldn't be bad either.

ac

carterinlife
Private E-1

Postby carterinlife » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 am

It would be with William Butler Yeats because I strongly admire his poetry and because he could help me create some long lived poetry that would never die.

Roseblood
Private E-2

Postby Roseblood » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:06 pm

I'd like to collaborate with the great William Goldman on a screenplay...that is, if I could stop genuflecting long enough to utter coherent speech. This brilliant darling of Hollywood has movie formula and structure down so solidly that it takes my breath away. However, he has some flaws in character and plot development that mystify him but seem completely clear to me. Case in point--when the girl falls to her death in The Great Waldo Pepper, he betrayed the audience with inadequate setup. I can think of half a dozen ways he could have done that better. Although we would by no means be equally matched, I believe my little bit of insight would augment his work to where I'd be worth his time. Bill? Ya out there listening?

adrienne_dinen
Private E-1

Postby adrienne_dinen » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:55 pm

I would love to collaborate with Kristin Billerbeck. She has the ability to grab the reader with the plot, the language, and the characters. She likes the light-hearted way of approaching the struggles of a Christian young woman; I like the heavy-drama sort. Hopefully we’ll achieve balance if we collaborate.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:42 pm

If I had to choose a living writer, it would be Ray Bradbury. I think he's the finest stylist alive.

If I could choose a dead writer, it would be Hemingway. Though I'm sure we have to climb in the boxing ring about once a week to settle our differences, and he could probably kick my butt.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:38 am

I do love Hemingway, but I'd choose Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain).  His writing has a timeless wit and soul.

The only person I might choose today is Nicholas Sparks.  He's no Mark Twain, but I think he has a good handle on story telling.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question