You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
ThoughtfulPen
Private E-1

Re: You're My Inspiration

Postby ThoughtfulPen » Tue May 12, 2009 6:21 pm

No one in particular. My mom always cheered me on to do whatever I dreamed to be, hence why I was self published at age 13. At age 14 or 15 I had hold of my first historical romance novel by Lisa Kleypas. It was wonderfully intriguing and I was hooked. I searched out her books until I decided to branch out and read other authors. From there grew my love of romance, historical settings preferably. So I grew from teen lit to write romance. Teresa Medeiros was my big inspiration. I feel that she carried a lot of my same writing styles in her novels and she feels free to hop from century to century from "real" life to paranormal or fantasy. I love that she can do that so easily, and I hope I will be able to accomplish that smooth transaction myself. From there Shana Abe has also inspired me, she is great with the scene descriptions in her writing. I feel that I am actually with the characters standing right next to them. Ultimately it is a grouping of many people and a deep rooted dream and urge to write that has brought me to love the written word.
~Lindsey
Visit me at http://thewritewords-lindsey.blogspot.com/

Ghostwriter71
Corporal

Postby Ghostwriter71 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 am

It's hard for me to site one source of inspiration. I had always been a book worm as a kid and in fifth grade, I wrote a short science fiction story called "Star Battalion". My teacher loved it and actually took me aside to ask how I came up with it. Being a SF geek, I just wrote a cool SF story. I barely remember what it was about now. ;-)

So science fiction has always been, and remains, a source of inspiration for me.

I started on Edgar Allan Poe and Arthur Conan Doyle when I was a kid and enjoyed them immensely. I picked up Asimov, Clarke, and other classic SF authors in the 80s and was only more inspired! Being a Star Trek fan, I am not ashamed to say that a read a ton of Trek novels in the 80s and 90s by writers like Michael Jan Friedman, Howie Weinstein, Jean Lorrah, JM Dillard, Brad Ferguson, Peter David and Bob Greenberger to name a few. In the 90s, I started to become acquainted with many of these writers through SF conventions in Maryland and I still tap Michael Jan Friedman for writing advice and he has been very encouraging.

I started reading Harlan Ellison in the 80s as well and met him at a convention in Long Island in the 90s called I-CON. His cantankerous, defiant attitude has also been an inspiration to me to write what I want to and speak my mind honestly no matter what anyone thinks. Although that is where my personality and Harlan's part ways. ;-)

However, the most inspiring for me is writer/editor/publisher/director/actor named Steven H. Wilson. I had met Steve through those same SF conventions in MD, specifically Farpoint which he started, and Shore Leave. He was the judge in a short story contest attached to Farpoint in 1995. I came in as a top contestant and got to talking to Steve about writing while at that show. Over the years since, we'd both published a few fanzines and written for others' zines. We'd fallen out of touch for a few years until about 2006. Early on, though, Steve was someone I came to look up to as a mentor. He had written for DC Comics and in 2002, started an original SF radio show drama called Arbiter Chronicles, recorded through his Prometheus Radio Theatre which has expanded to include other original shows written and performed by Steve and his cast.

In 2005, Steve started his own print on demand publishing company called Firebringer Press to publish his first novel, Taken Liberty, based on that audio drama series. Two years later, I had my own manuscript ready and asked him if he would be interested in reading it for publication.....today, more than two years and three drafts later, I can now call my mentor my publisher!!

Were it not for Steve's encouragement early in my fan fiction writing, I probably wouldn't have reached this milestone in my life and now it's all come full circle. In working with Steve more closely now than ever, we've rekindled our friendship and I have a second novel in the works that I also plan to submit to him in the next year or two.

:)

Ghostwriter71
Corporal

Postby Ghostwriter71 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 am

It's hard for me to site one source of inspiration. I had always been a book worm as a kid and in fifth grade, I wrote a short science fiction story called "Star Battalion". My teacher loved it and actually took me aside to ask how I came up with it. Being a SF geek, I just wrote a cool SF story. I barely remember what it was about now. ;-)

So science fiction has always been, and remains, a source of inspiration for me.

I started on Edgar Allan Poe and Arthur Conan Doyle when I was a kid and enjoyed them immensely. I picked up Asimov, Clarke, and other classic SF authors in the 80s and was only more inspired! Being a Star Trek fan, I am not ashamed to say that a read a ton of Trek novels in the 80s and 90s by writers like Michael Jan Friedman, Howie Weinstein, Jean Lorrah, JM Dillard, Brad Ferguson, Peter David and Bob Greenberger to name a few. In the 90s, I started to become acquainted with many of these writers through SF conventions in Maryland and I still tap Michael Jan Friedman for writing advice and he has been very encouraging.

I started reading Harlan Ellison in the 80s as well and met him at a convention in Long Island in the 90s called I-CON. His cantankerous, defiant attitude has also been an inspiration to me to write what I want to and speak my mind honestly no matter what anyone thinks. Although that is where my personality and Harlan's part ways. ;-)

However, the most inspiring for me is writer/editor/publisher/director/actor named Steven H. Wilson. I had met Steve through those same SF conventions in MD, specifically Farpoint which he started, and Shore Leave. He was the judge in a short story contest attached to Farpoint in 1995. I came in as a top contestant and got to talking to Steve about writing while at that show. Over the years since, we'd both published a few fanzines and written for others' zines. We'd fallen out of touch for a few years until about 2006. Early on, though, Steve was someone I came to look up to as a mentor. He had written for DC Comics and in 2002, started an original SF radio show drama called Arbiter Chronicles, recorded through his Prometheus Radio Theatre which has expanded to include other original shows written and performed by Steve and his cast.

In 2005, Steve started his own print on demand publishing company called Firebringer Press to publish his first novel, Taken Liberty, based on that audio drama series. Two years later, I had my own manuscript ready and asked him if he would be interested in reading it for publication.....today, more than two years and three drafts later, I can now call my mentor my publisher!!

Were it not for Steve's encouragement early in my fan fiction writing, I probably wouldn't have reached this milestone in my life and now it's all come full circle. In working with Steve more closely now than ever, we've rekindled our friendship and I have a second novel in the works that I also plan to submit to him in the next year or two.

:)

grassangel
Private E-1

Postby grassangel » Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 am

I feel writing is like a whispering which is comforting my own soul on this lonely island---- i v been living in mental trouble PTSD for long years,inner pain nightmares, suicidal, nobody can reach to nobody cares......those finally drive me to come to the screen to try to type something another world, yes , another world, which can breathe in air.

grassangel
Private E-1

Postby grassangel » Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 am

I feel writing is like a whispering which is comforting my own soul on this lonely island---- i v been living in mental trouble PTSD for long years,inner pain nightmares, suicidal, nobody can reach to nobody cares......those finally drive me to come to the screen to try to type something another world, yes , another world, which can breathe in air.

public fear
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby public fear » Sat May 30, 2009 7:05 pm

This is probably a strange way to be inspired, but here goes. I am in a 12 step program, and one of the ways suggested to deal with my problems was to write down what was going on in my life. I found myself writing down what was going on with me, my children and even my husband. After a while they began to take the form of stories. Some of them have to with feelings I have for some of his associates (the ones I don't like, especially). After a while, I started writing about my surroundings. I have even begun writing fantasy stories for my daughter. One day, I picked up one of those supermarket tabloids and after reading one of the stories, I said, "I can write better than this." Since 2004, I've had stories published on the internet. Maybe one of these days, I'll get paid. In any case, I want to write stories that educate, as well as entertain. Wish me well, and I wish you all success.

Vera.

Legloasob113
Private E-1

Postby Legloasob113 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:51 pm

A friend because I was jealous that she had a wide aray of talents when I thought I didn't have any.

Legloasob113
Private E-1

Postby Legloasob113 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:51 pm

A friend because I was jealous that she had a wide aray of talents when I thought I didn't have any.

Chandara5
Private E-2

Postby Chandara5 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:56 pm

The first "adult" book I ever read was Stephen King and I was hooked. I was the "abnormal" one in my family for loving the library and consumed myself with everything that was King. I was in eigth grade when my father brought home a dinosaur of a typewriter. I remember it was bright orange and hummed but it was electrical and it worked! I began writing and submitted one story during high school and received a rejection with a note. I thought that meant I was not worthy of print. It wasn't until a decade later that I read On Writing by Mr. King and felt a fool. By then the damage was done and life got in the way. Now, after twenty something years I'm back!!

norwegian
Private E-1

Postby norwegian » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 am

Christ inspired me. He is all to me.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question