[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
You're My Inspiration : Conversation question • Page 9 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Kaylynn
Private E-1

Re: You're My Inspiration

Postby Kaylynn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 am

Karen, it almost sounds like we had the same highschool Creative Writing teacher. :-) My teacher, Mr. Wilson, had us write a daily journal at the start of each class. Looking back now at those journals, I can see the progression in just a semester. At first all I talked about were boys and hockey games and the new jeans I bought. By the end of June I was expressing thoughts and feelings and emotions. His entire class took my love for writing to an all new high and created a passion in me to continue. My "short story" assignments were usually 30,000 words more than they were supposed to be but he always read every word and wrote comments throughout.

Even before that, I was chosen to go to a Young Authors Conference when I was about 10 years old. The author was Gordan Korman. He was so funny and engaging and passionate about writing fiction that I left there completely enthralled with writing.

And I can't forget my mom. She's a great cheerleader but a terrible critique-giver. Everything I wrote growing up was "Awesome, honey!" or "the best story I've ever read, ever! Honestly! You are so gifted, my beautiful, beautiful girl. I'm so proud." :-) How can you not be inspired with feedback like that?

Kaylynn
Private E-1

Postby Kaylynn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:47 am

aunicorn, I loved the Boxcar Children books! I wanted so bad for my brother and I to live in a boxcar and pick berries for dinner and keep our milk cold in the river. :-) Good memories...

Oxford
Private E-1

Postby Oxford » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 am

I don't even feel that I should say I am a writer. Not yet at any rate. But .. is there not always a but?

I have been reading for as long as I can remember, I read before I even understood. I'd say it stands good reason then that I have been and still am inspired by other writers out there. Looking back at my childhood and where I grew up, the genome, the passion for words seems a bolt of lighting at high noon on a very sunny day. I have no idea why I write, who or what inspires, aside other authors. I just do. I hope I always do.

Dan
Sergeant

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Dan
Sergeant

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:46 pm

The_Penciled_One
Lieutenant

Postby The_Penciled_One » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

My english teacher in 9th grade took me aside one day and told me I had a gift. He really encouraged me to write and urged me on to finish my novel. It was then that I seriously took a look into writing. Now, almost four years later, I cannot imagine doing anything else!

The_Penciled_One
Lieutenant

Postby The_Penciled_One » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

My english teacher in 9th grade took me aside one day and told me I had a gift. He really encouraged me to write and urged me on to finish my novel. It was then that I seriously took a look into writing. Now, almost four years later, I cannot imagine doing anything else!

The_Penciled_One
Lieutenant

Postby The_Penciled_One » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:56 pm

The_Penciled_One
Lieutenant

Postby The_Penciled_One » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:56 pm

ThoughtfulPen
Private E-1

Postby ThoughtfulPen » Tue May 12, 2009 6:21 pm

No one in particular. My mom always cheered me on to do whatever I dreamed to be, hence why I was self published at age 13. At age 14 or 15 I had hold of my first historical romance novel by Lisa Kleypas. It was wonderfully intriguing and I was hooked. I searched out her books until I decided to branch out and read other authors. From there grew my love of romance, historical settings preferably. So I grew from teen lit to write romance. Teresa Medeiros was my big inspiration. I feel that she carried a lot of my same writing styles in her novels and she feels free to hop from century to century from "real" life to paranormal or fantasy. I love that she can do that so easily, and I hope I will be able to accomplish that smooth transaction myself. From there Shana Abe has also inspired me, she is great with the scene descriptions in her writing. I feel that I am actually with the characters standing right next to them. Ultimately it is a grouping of many people and a deep rooted dream and urge to write that has brought me to love the written word.
~Lindsey
Visit me at http://thewritewords-lindsey.blogspot.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question