[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
You're My Inspiration : Conversation question • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
lastwrites
Captain

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby lastwrites » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:41 am

michalmcdowell
Private E-2

Postby michalmcdowell » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:02 pm

The teacher who thought I had plagarized was a history teacher. I can say something nice of my English teachers! Nearly everyone had been nothing but encouraging to me to write! Hooray for English teachers!!! ;)

LoveSunDaze
Private E-1

Postby LoveSunDaze » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 am

A number of people have inspired me. The last two people (so very unintentionally) were my horribly critical brother (beast, beast, beast!) but I love him anyway, and some guy who joined the writers group i was running. He was a rather charming fellow, a poet, who decided he was the only entity in the group who had any merit. He took it upon himself to critique beyond critique... He made me so mad, there was only one thing to do sans getting arrested for doing him in, and that was to do him in with his own weapon of choice, poetry. In a seething rage i penned the nastiest sharpest non-drivel i could come up with. Some of its actually good, and is submittable! :-)

tranquilmyst
Private First Class

Postby tranquilmyst » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:38 am

My inspiration would have to be my family. First awards go to my mother, who always said I didn’t have to think about being anything other than a wife and mother each time I asked her what I might be when I grew up and what college I might attend. Out of my anger and frustration I decided there was no point in even going to school so I ditched a lot. I graduated from high school (continuation school) by the hair of my chin. I stopped playing the piano and gave up on everything, but I continued to write about all my experiences and frustrations. It was my outlet I suppose. Barely eighteen, I married and started having children, as told I would do. But my soul still yearns to be something, someone in addition to Wife and Mom.

Second and best inspiration awards go to my deceased father who provided me with a wide array of books and sparked my desire to learn. It's still there Dad. And to my wonderful husband and children who think I can do anything and have strongly encouraged me to pursue my dreams. I am proud of the jobs I have done so far in my roles, but I want to show them I can be something else of value - I want to show myself - I want to show my mother.

I burn for the day I can plop down a piece of mine in print at dear old mom's feet and say, "I told you I was smart!" Sometimes I think the hurt and anger are the more powerful of motivators for me. But I have to say, without the negative experiences of my childhood, my mother's apathy, the hurts, the frustrations, I would not be the person I am today, writer or not. It took a long time but finally, now pushing 50 years old, I can say I like who I am. All these things have shaped and inspired me. Plus, I have many stories to tell and lessons to share. Blessings on her for that. No regrets save one: All my childhood writings. Mother told me to burn them (she had previously "found" and read them) lest my husband-to-be find out what I was like and not want to marry me. So I did. This has been the deepest regret of my life. How I would love to have those journals to share with my family today. I know now that I wasn't bad at all, just normal.

Hmmm, after reading this post, I think I have stumbled on a subject to write about!

chelly
Private First Class

Postby chelly » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:45 pm

As a writer.... Laurel K Hamilton and J.K. Rowling....

But my husband is the one that pushes me, which I need every day. Love to write, but I do have my worries about if I have talent.

Eirene
Private E-1

Postby Eirene » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 am

Music is one of my biggest inspirations. And it might sound strange, but also names. If I hear a sertain name a character can suddenly pop into my mind.
But mostly it's music. It helps both the story and the language to flow. Of course my favorite author is another huge inspiration, Vibeke Olsson. She's swedish so I doubt you've heard about her, which is a shame. She writes pure masterpieces.

Mauvekat
Private First Class

Postby Mauvekat » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:12 pm

I get inspiration from other places such as the books I read from the really great (the ones I want to write as well as) to the really awful (the ones I think I can write better than.) I also get ideas from dreams and my imagination. The worlds I see that I wish to share with others, which is probably where my other inspiration comes from. I am a gamer, nope not video games since my hand eye coordination is that of a blind elderly dog with no thumbs. I play role-playing games, yes still at my age. But I also run them and get to spread out my ideas to others that want to come to see what happens next. I run longer games, one that take time and build characters. I try to make my players think and usually it works. They have to think and expend their own minds and then after they have finished something they come back to see what happens next. It is like writing a screenplay for a TV series that people enjoy even when they don't like what happens but are glued to the screen the next week. They come back for more; they want to see how the story ends and how they get there. I know it is one of those controversial things, role playing that is but honestly I don't care that others think it is evil or destructive to children. I find it a great outlet for a ton of my inspiration and also a place to see what others think of my world as well. I love it and it helps with my writing a ton.

Capitalist_Pig
Captain

Postby Capitalist_Pig » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 am

I really can't say who started me on this trek. I started my first book (admittedly very roughly) when I was.. let's see.. around 11. I think 11. Yes, 11.

I remember what started me on it; it really wasn't intended to be a book, but a comic of some sort. These things spiral. Anyhow, I was watching "Catlyn's Way" on TV (that's the last time I remember seeing it). Catlyn (sp?) lives on a farm with distant relatives; her cousin is named Gryffin. I thought that was odd; it was like naming a kid 'Phoenix.' Hmm, I thought, I wonder how you say that in Japanese. 'Fushichou.' Interesting.

And Fushichou: The Phoenix was born.

barbarairvin
Private E-1

Postby barbarairvin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:58 pm

My inspiration comes from such authors as Agatha Christie, Anais Nin, and Gertrude Stein. I also have a friend named LC Van Savage who is a writer, and she inspires me as well.

Barbara

LeeLeeButtons
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration - Awaken

Postby LeeLeeButtons » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:00 am

I need to somehow try to make myself belong. I wish someone would notice that I am

Not always wrong.

When I close my eyes real tight, I find I’m in a place and when I look

around I see I’ve created my own space.

I gaze up to the sky and feel that I have done this before. Many lives I’ve lived and I

know that this is the last one I have. It has taken decades for me to understand the

reason why we exist. I remember very vividly being in a room. The ceilings are high and

magnificent, detailed with every stroke. In childhood I had flashes somewhat like a

shooting star and in these flashes was this room I find myself in more often than not.

There is a screen that is pulled down and soon the movie begins to play. I watch my life

flash by just like the memories I have once had. I know now that when I reach the end of

my existence that I will be in this room again to watch this precious life that I have

chosen for myself. Just as you have, your life that you choose. Before my birth I decided

what it is that I need to accomplish on this planet. I need to learn to fail to laugh to feel

many and if not all emotions. This is part of the life list that will now become real as I

enter into the world for my birth. I am born so far from perfect but yet I know internally

that I have been programmed for the life ready to come. Does anyone not ever wonder

why they would have chosen their life? Are some of us suffering on this planet that is

overcome with grief and guilt and all other ugly epidemics? I have realized that there is

another place that will be introduced that is peaceful and blissful. The place in which the

room resides is this of my heaven. Our loved ones passed, they greet us in a way that says

welcome we were never apart just on another colour of the rainbow. There is no end to our existence.

judgement, jealousy, hate or war. Not one person looks at another in distaste. There is no

negativity. In fact the very opposite is this heaven I know exists. First I need to complete

my journey to perfect my soul. Taking with me new knowledge with a thirst for

happiness. Our heaven is waiting, our movie being set up to play. You need to recognize

that we need to be imperfect we need to mature our souls. It’s the only way to make it to

that color in the rainbow. Those who catch on faster start to recognize their chart, just

like on a roadmap every detail is laid out to see. Our destiny is waiting until we are ready

for the light. Light that comes from the glow of the stars if we can just open up our hearts

and let our wings fly. Slow down, look up and take a minute in our time see the good we

will encounter. I feel as though the parts of my brain are starting to demonstrate all the

knowledge and answers that many others do not see. My thoughts are that of memories

that bring me to today. As this body I have chosen is given in good faith. A shell for the

soul to live in until the day it can escape. Be of positive thought. Your thoughts will be

positive.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question