You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Ella Bettencourt
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby Ella Bettencourt » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:51 pm

My inspiration just comes to me either from a painting I see, a phrase I read, a classic melody I hear (I love classic music!), daily news I hear on TV. And I seem to be constantly thinking about writing this or that. I have a terrible imagination! Good or bad? It does not stop. However the only problem I have is that I do not have confidence in myself. My first language is not English. Maybe that is the reason I have no confidence! But I do love the English language and several other ones...Like French, Italian, Spanish...

jessica
Captain

Postby jessica » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:40 am

My Mom told me that I could be anything I wanted to be but that a writer might starve. My Meme told me I had a way with words, which I should be 'an artist', and it was good to be hungry.

My Husband believes in me, even when I fail and fall. My shining knight!

My children have provided me an understanding of awe and amazement I didn't think possible. They give me new eyes everyday.

My friends, the chosen family, those souls around me, have been my safety and my strength when I have had none. 

The soft web of love provided by this group, the beauty of the world, the love and Grace of God, and my own timid innate gifts form my inspiration.

Each piece independent and invaluable, each piece my favorite...

ThinkOnItDevotions
Private E-1

Postby ThinkOnItDevotions » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:17 pm

How beautiful!! I love how you wrote and read stories to your sister. It's funny how God moves in us to compel us to do a certain thing. At the time, we think nothing of it except maybe it's something we need to do. Then later, He uses it for His purpose to bring comfort, healing or encouragement to another soul. Thank you for sharing your sister as your inspiration! God Bless! :)

Laura_j74
Private E-2

Postby Laura_j74 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:39 pm

I would have to say my own imagination. Fiction comes naturaly to me, and I love putting my charactors onto paper. My whole life people told me I was good at telling stories. So I kept telling them. I can't lie with a straight face, and even playing a joke is hard for me. People see right through. But on paper, my voice sings and carries readers to new worlds. Fiction writting enables my emagination to run wild and discribe things only I can see. My biggest inspiration: My childhood, and the freedom to have dreams.
Laura

mz39xm
Private E-1

Postby mz39xm » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:17 am

Pat,

The same scenario occurred with me in my 8th grade English class. Mrs. Ney insisted I had borrowed someone else's work; that I couldn't have possibly written that story. She failed me and she was wrong. I refused to write, again, until years later, as an Army Special Forces Officer. I've been writing since that time, but only within the past year have I committed myself to publishing a first novel for YAs. I'm resolving some plot issues, but am almost ready to begin the writing. I have several scenes ready and many, many more in my head. Neener, Neener, Neener . . . Mrs. Ney!

October Sky
Private E-1

Postby October Sky » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:43 am

This is going to sound really cheesy, but the one person who actually got me back into writing was J.J. Abrams(and the rest of his team). He and his fellow crew taught me that you can't have great action and adventure, but a great story and characters as well. Lost really inspired me to get back into writing, and I've had a blast writing since. Other writers, like Stephen King and J.K. Rowling have inspired me as well. All these people really give you the idea that no matter who you are, you can be successful in the competitive world of writing, tv, and film.

And even though I'm still only writing for fanfiction online, I'm also getting the "Are you sure there's not something else you want to do?" when I say I want to go into writing. Some people, though, actually took the liberty to never say anything negative about it. When I told my guidance counciler when he was figuring out classes, he jumps into "Oh, then how about taking___" Both kinds of people, though, seem to push you, and in the end, I think I'll be grateful for both :)

(hopefully :o)

mz39xm: The same thing happened to me! My English teacher one year just insisted that, I guess, I wasn't good enough to have written that report. At first it tore me apart, but now I actually find myself flattered by the comment :)

andrew.v.spencer
Sergeant First Class

The Morlocks of your mind

Postby andrew.v.spencer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:38 am

Inspiration. These are the lost thoughts deep down in my mind. They scurry, roll, hop, crawl and sliver below the visible world. Above the streets are full of "should I have a cup of coffee?" "Maybe I'll go skiing this winter." "I don't want to go to the gym."

But like the subway, like steampipes and electric cables they run beneath the seen world, perhaps even helping the known world spin. Every now and then a crawling thing meets a rolling thing, and they combine, becoming something else. Something so insistent that unbidden it pops into waking existence and says "talk about me." And I do. For if I don't they run around causing a fearful racket.

But like the all things they are ultimately made of something smaller; a conversation in a bar, the whine of an aircraft engine, a broken traffic light, the pattern of abandoned chewing gum on the sidewalk. Micro thoughts and images, the protons and neutrons of the denizens of my mind. The more I listen and see, do and read the more of them there are.

Sugarbaby884
Private E-1

Postby Sugarbaby884 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:45 am

I know it sounds cliche but my mother first inspired me to write. She would read to me all the time when I was a baby and continued to read to me until I was old enough to read myself, and then I read to her. She would tell me that I could write stories of my own one day if I wanted. I kept reading and reading and when I was about 10 or 12 I started writing stories for my friends to read. I stopped for a really long time during high school (if it wasn't an assignment I wasn't doing it) but just a couple years ago I was going through some tough times and my longtime boyfriend (who knows all about my passion for reading and how I used to write) conviced me to do so again. It got me through some pretty tough times and now I write all the time, not to keep my mind off things and feel better, but because I WANT to write. :)

famouspoet
Private E-2

Postby famouspoet » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:49 am

As dark as it may seem, grief is an inspiration to me - grief, heartbreak, sadness, loss. They all inspire me to see what could be better, brighter and bigger. It is confusing that I love to hate grief because it makes me hate to grieve.

michalmcdowell
Private E-2

Postby michalmcdowell » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:56 am

We seem to have common threads....tanacity, supportive loved ones, and that darn teacher who swore we plagarized our work! I am inspired by my husband who bought me a printer last year and said "print your work and get it published. I'm tired of living like a pauper when I could be retired and managing a Starbucks on the booty you'd earn by writing." OK, so he REALLY thinks I'm good! My mother is great because she thinks I'm good...but could be better! She's actually the one who should be writing! And when I get another rejection to a submission that inspires me to go on. What gives me inspiration for ideas...LIFE! My kids are a great source of course and just amusing things that happen....

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question