You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
SunnyCee
Private E-1

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby SunnyCee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:07 pm

In my case, it's at least partly genetic! Mother, father, and older sister were all compulsive readers and writers. I've kept a journal off and on for years, and written in most jobs, particularly for the last fifteen years or so. Authors whose works I read have inspired me to improve my writing. At work, my internal clients inspired me too.

Now, it's everything from cable news, opinion columns, and various other external sources to some of the strange thoughts running through my own brain. Oh yeah... and all the people at parties who told me I should write a book after hearing my stories.

And I have to give credit to those who have inspired me to improve my writing, from a bunch of extraordinarily nit-picky college professors to my friend and writing mentor, Woody, who understands that the best way to get me to pay attention is through a swift virtual kick to my backside!

Loriann523
Private E-1

Postby Loriann523 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 pm

I'd have to say my mother. As a young child, I saw her always reading reading and more reading. There was always a book in her hand, her lap, or on the coffee table. Sometimes it was still on top of chest as she drifted off to sleep with it still in her hands. She was a librarian at our local library in our small town and she would bring me books home from work all the time. It was the thrill of Christmas morning almost every time she brought me a new stack of books. I remember requesting my favorites be brought home over and over - Where the Wild Things Are and the one about the Night Kitchen by the same author. Another favorite was this huge glossy picture book of Unicorns that I never did catch the name of. I learned to love books as if they were treasures because to me they were. I learned early the possiblities and wonderous places a book can take you too. My love of reading from my mother is what inspired my imagination and desire to write.
Thank You MOM! I Love You

Frogger
Private E-1

Re: You're My Inspiration

Postby Frogger » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:22 am

I took a creative writing class in high school for an "easy" english credit, and found out there was a lot more to it than I'd thought. But, our teacher was inspiring and transformed a bunch of slackers into hopeful writers.

Artful_Expressions
Private E-1

Postby Artful_Expressions » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:36 am

I can't say that there was really any one source of inspiration for me. Having been born into a dysfunctional family, I found writing to be an excellent way of venting my feelings. I think I was about twelve when I fell in love for the first time, *giggle* but it sparked a whole new side of passionate writing for me and it was about that time that I realized that I loved to play with words and be able to create images in peoples minds with the words I put on paper.

gumboWriters
Private E-2

Postby gumboWriters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:06 am

My inspiration comes from my friends and fellow writers, whenever, I read others work I feels inspired.

windchaser0805
Private E-1

Postby windchaser0805 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:39 pm

My first writing inspiration was E.B. White. I fell in love with CHARLOTTE'S WEB in third grade and knew immediately I wanted to be able to make others feel the way I felt reading that book.

Jacqueline Susann, because I wanted to be notorious and have my books scandalize people.

Sidney Sheldon, because I could read his novels in one sitting and be transported to worlds that, for most of my life, I couldn't even imagine.

And my parents--Mom for encouraging me, and Dad for telling me it would never happen. The quickest way to get me to do anything, after all, is to tell me not to do it! Sixteen novels later, that bit of pessimism still drives me.

jmascia
Private First Class

Postby jmascia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:20 am

Okay. So, the person who made me want to be a writer, wasn't even anyone I'd ever met until only a few months ago. Kevin J. Anderson writes excellent science fiction and fantasy, and the inspiration came from reading his Star Wars: Jedi Academy Trilogy when I was in the 9th grade. After reading that, I knew I had to write. TThough I still want a contract for a Star Wars novel! (Sigh) Just have to wait on that.

PS - If you haven't read anything by Anderson - do so immediately!

anthonygrae
Private E-1

Postby anthonygrae » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 am

First let me say, I am not living up to my desire to be a writer, nor am I taking full advantage of my inspirations. With that said, the desire is still there inside of me, and it is mainly because of 2 people. My best friend Sean and his sister Charlene have been my biggest supporters for many, many years. Ever since we were little kids (I'm almost 40 now), they have been pushing me to pursue my creative side. I never had the confidence to really pursue it when I was young, and as I've gotten older, I've found a million and one excuses to NOT write. Still, they are there pushing me and being supportive and reminding me that they believe in me and that it's not too late. I am married with kids of my own now, and while my wife is supportive of my wanting to write, Sean and Charlene still stand as my strongest inspirations by far, and I hope that I can find a way to pay them back with a dedication in a book someday.

Eyes_86
Private First Class

Postby Eyes_86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

My grandda...God rest his soul.  An Irish musician and bit of a
storyteller, his stories fueled my imagination and ultimately led
to me writing my very first story which turned into a series.

Loretta Green
Sergeant First Class

Postby Loretta Green » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:34 am

I don't know where my desire to write comes from. I've just always done it. It's like breathing. If you don't do it, you die. Living in my imagination instead of the real world became a lot easier for me, after my mother died. I was ten. I think I dream differently than other people. At least people in my family. I live whole movie sceneros out in my dreams. I remember them and they become germs of stories. Vivid dreams, maybe that has been where my desire comes from. Of course it could be because I'm bipolar and the meds make me have the vivid dreams! who knows.
Keep writing!
Loretta Green

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question