[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
You're My Inspiration : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

You're My Inspiration

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: You're My Inspiration

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:46 am

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:12 pm

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:30 am

They owe a great deal to you, too, Yudelka.

Honestly, there is an endless list of people who have helped, encouraged, and taught me. I could go on for a long time listing names of inspirational people. But, the fact is, people come and go from your life at different times. My teachers/professors inspired me at certain times. My wife/children/parents/family inspire me at different times and in different ways.

Overall, God inspires me the most. But, that's an integral part of my life and inseparable from my writing, living, etc.

I only hope that maybe one day, I can breathe life into someone's work as so many have already done to mine.

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:16 am

CELagacy

Postby CELagacy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:08 am

I never really consciously made the decision to become a writer. I have always been a voracious reader, but when I was twelve, I became involved with the school paper and began writing a serial sci-fi novel. Once that finished, I wrote poetry and songs for four years, then during a down-point in my life I rediscovered my love for the written word. After a while, I wondered if I could ever write a book. So I wrote my first novella - which was horrible - then confined it to sit on my shelf. From there, I decided to take my writing in a different direction and challenge myself. Two and a half years ago I started writing romantic suspense, and I have been ever since.

debo
Private E-2

Postby debo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:03 pm

It started with my 4th grade teacher, who praised my first poem. ("Whether it's cold, or whether it's hot,/We're wishing whether we know it or not") Mrs. Land also had us create stories with our list of spelling words each week.

Then my 6th grade English teacher let us earn extra credit points by giving presentations on Fridays. We could present anything that related in any way, however remote, to our readings that week, and personal creations were permitted. My best friend and I developed a competition as to who could earn the most extra credit points. We both ended up with A+++++, but I don't remember who won the competition.

I produced my first novel, self-illustrated in watercolor, in 7th grade, and it circulated around the class. Though most of my classmates didn't care much for geeky me, they all wanted to read the story-in-progress. (It was a teenage Man-from-Uncle mystery/suspense love story with a VERY TRAGIC ending: the herione dies in the arms of the hero.)

[I realize this is way more than 50 words. Brevity is not my strong suit.]

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:52 am

angelinblack
Private E-1

Postby angelinblack » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Mom, because they always do anything to inspire their babies. James C., whom I met in a college poetry class, a very good and missed friend. Jake, my bro who has always been so good to tell me how bad I am, after all he is a brother. Jerry, my best friend who, in spite of the fact that he doesn't even read fiction, reminds me every day how important it is to me if no one else. And of course the people who pass through our lives daily, whether they stay for awhile or not.

goobiesonvenus
Private First Class

Postby goobiesonvenus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:28 am

I must say that it was my sister who got me into writing. She was writing a story and like usual, I decided to copy what she was doing. :)

And then all of a sudden I was addicted to the writing world.

-Lauren

VictoriaE
Private First Class

Postby VictoriaE » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:43 pm

What a great question, and something that everyone should think about now and then.

For me, at this point in my life, I write for my dad. He just passed away a week ago very unexpectedly and at age 50. I write for all of the things that he did not get to experience. I write for all the time that we didn't get to spend together. I write to help me remember every time he smiled.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question