[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Will Print Magazines Survive? : Conversation question • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Will Print Magazines Survive?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
hlstoner
Private E-2

Re: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby hlstoner » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 pm

This question is the same as the film versus digital camera debate. Some avid digital camera users say film cameras will become obsolete, while film users don't agree. In that debate, I don't think film will be going anywhere anytime soon, but it has lost ground. I think we've become so dependent on this digital world. Too much if you ask me.

As for print magazines, all I can say is, I have seen this happening, magazines turning to just publishing online. For my personal preference, I prefer to look at them in print form. For me it's just not the same scrolling through the pages online as it is to flip through the pages of print. I don't want to live my whole life on the screen of my computer. There is something more relaxing to just sit down with a print magazine and read the articles and enjoy the layout of the images presented then staring at a brightly lit computer monitor.

I can't answer the question if they will stick around or not, but I can see the trend of them going digital, but like film cameras, I don't see them going away anytime soon. Let's face it, in today's economy, would it be cheaper to buy a magazine subscription, or access to the internet every month? How many people have done away with internet access as a means of saving money for their personal budgets? I know a few.

Autodidact
Private E-1

Postby Autodidact » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 am

They may survive, but will be greatly reduced. Only the toughest will weather this electronic storm.

amyjean1010
Private E-1

RE: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby amyjean1010 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:02 pm

I have an e-book and although it is cheaper and more conveinient, I still love hanging out at the bookstore or coffee shop with a magazine or newspaper. And e-books can't print pictures or the cover well, and I also like being able to easily look ahead or back whenever I want. Both are necesseary in our market for different reasons. E-books and anything internet is cheaper and everyone has access to it. Books, mags and newspapers are for those avid readers like me who like the sensory experience as well as the actual reading.

JRSmith
Private First Class

Postby JRSmith » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

In a sense, it's a generational issue. Folks my age grew up with books, magazines and newspapers, and ONLY books, newspapers and magazines. We never had a computer, or the Internet as a source of reading material and we tend to fall back on the old and familiar.
Twenty-somethings HAVE grown up with computers as well as books. I tend to think the choice of medium is split with that generation, with a leaning toward the electronic format.

I think the next generation, those in diapers or yet unborn, will make the final determination of which medium survives, and I'm betting it's computer-based.

Personally, I like two things the printed page does for me as a reader. One, when I pick up a magazine or a newspaper I have the ability to instantly flip through the pages to get to a page I want to read (and it's much faster than switching web sites or loading individual pages). And two, if I want to review a page I've already read, I can flip right back to the page I want rather than trying to remember which page on the web site (often out of many previous pages) I want to go to.

Jim

JTLake
Sergeant Major

Postby JTLake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 am

"In a sense, it's a generational issue. Folks my age grew up with books, magazines and newspapers, and ONLY books, newspapers and magazines. We never had a computer, or the Internet as a source of reading material and we tend to fall back on the old and familiar.
Twenty-somethings HAVE grown up with computers as well as books. I tend to think the choice of medium is split with that generation, with a leaning toward the electronic format."

As a father, my worry is that younger generations are moving away from leisure reading and entertaining themselves with electronic stimulation. When we were young, one of our only ways to busy our minds was with reading. It was an escape from the mundane that I'm not sure future generations will need. Reading brought us to far away places that kids, now, can access with the internet. Kids, today, find stimulation through other means than books.

booklover
Private E-1

RE: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby booklover » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 pm

:emoticon: Print magazines will survive as longs as people continue to buy them or get them in the mail. Not everything will disappear it can't. We can't have everything on the computer even though pretty much people want it to. But it can't we do need some things that we can actually hold on to.
For me I prefer magazines to reading them online even though there are some that I do read from the interet because I do not get some of these magazines over here.
If they want to cut back on the magazines that is understandable which I can agree with. But to get rid of them forever and just read them online won't last. I say the magazines are here to stay. ;)

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:41 am

Elvarryn
Corporal

Postby Elvarryn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 pm

I dont know. But I hope they survive. There are several differences my collegues listed already in this thread, so there should be room enough for both forms of publication, printed and online.

Elvarryn
Corporal

Postby Elvarryn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 pm

I dont know. But I hope they survive. There are several differences my collegues listed already in this thread, so there should be room enough for both forms of publication, printed and online.

Legloasob113
Private E-1

Postby Legloasob113 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:24 am

My guess is that print magazines will but probably not newspapers.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question