[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Will Print Magazines Survive? : Conversation question • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Will Print Magazines Survive?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby jrtomlin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 am

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:26 am

I got something like that too, just yesterday.

"Our market tanked w/ the economy. We aren't taking on any new projects"

This was a smaller publication as well, though not magazines.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:26 am

I got something like that too, just yesterday.

"Our market tanked w/ the economy. We aren't taking on any new projects"

This was a smaller publication as well, though not magazines.

C.Hennessy
Private E-1

Postby C.Hennessy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm pretty sure they'll survive. There are enough of us out there that love the reading experience. I love the glossy pages of magazines and the smooth paper of printed books. Just opening a book is a good feeling (books are pretty much my life). I don't get anything from clicking a link or scrolling down a webpage. I can only be so comfortable sitting in a chair in front of my massive monitor. And handheld devices are expensive, and just a pain, in my opinion. You have to worry about battery life. I don't need a battery to read a book. I think Kindles and the like would be best for textbooks (save us some money and some back pain!) but when I get published, I want a physical copy of my hard work, not some silly digital file that I have to adjust the brightness on.

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Kindles have e-pages so brightness isn't an issue. Their principle market is people who travel, which is a very large market as a matter of fact. With something only slightly larger (at the moment) than a paperback, you can carry a library with you while you travel. They are mainly for text which means they're not ideal for a large portion of the textbooks. While they can handle illustrations, that doesn't seem to be what they're best at. That may well be a generation or two down the road.

I know a couple of people who have the Kindle who are delighted with it. But Amazon has never considered it a replacement for printed matter. That doesn't mean it might not come about, but we're talking a long way down the road.

C.Hennessy
Private E-1

Postby C.Hennessy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:53 pm

I definitely understand the advantages. I'm sure it would be nice to have all my books with me at once, but I usually only read one book at a time, so I don't need the rest with me. Plus I always make sure I have a big enough purse to hold at least one book ;D

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:07 pm

C.Hennessy
Private E-1

Postby C.Hennessy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Yeah. If I was on a ten day business trip and needed a new book I'd nip out to B&N and get one because I'm that stubborn. If someone gave me a Kindle as a gift, I would most likely use it, but there's no reason for me to ever buy one. I don't think they'll ever replace print, but I do see them becoming even more popular when we live in such a digital age.

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:49 pm

C.Hennessy
Private E-1

Postby C.Hennessy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Yeah, for anyone but me it would be impractical. But I LOVE shopping for books. I always have time for that! And I'd throw out clothes to make room for a book if I had too. I think it'd be pretty easy to smush it in on top of some clothes though.
Definitely though, if textbooks were available, I would seriously consider one. It would save so much room and I wouldn't have to carry a heavy bag. I'd like to think that the cost of the books would be cheaper as well.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question