[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Will Print Magazines Survive? : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Will Print Magazines Survive?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Will Print Magazines Survive?

Postby jrtomlin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:32 am

Frankly,I don't see that it matters a lot whther we get our publications printed on paper or in digital form. We'll still get putblications. AND pay for them in one form or another. They will still be owned by publishers and edited by editors.

The only idfference is really the form of delivery.

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 am

Well, there will always be those who are technologically leery. My own mother will have nothing to do with computers. I know several people my own age that know less than nothing about computers and are perfectly happy that way. Magazine subscriptions may dwindle, but I doubt seriously that they will ever go completely out. I am of the opinion that the two will work in tandem.

The world of the web will have its use for publication, just as the printed page has already had. My children's generation will be dependent on technology, as much of my own has been. I remember the birth of the CD player. My kids will remember the birth of bluetooth and the ipod. I get news from a newspaper and CNN. My kids, when they reach adulthood, will probably still read a newspaper, still watch CNN, even if it is on the net. My daughter will read Seventeen and my boys already devour Game Informer. As long as the printed page is willing to keep up with the advances of the world, it will survive. It may be in limited form, but it will.

I don't pretend to know what the future holds, and perhaps the days of print are coming to an end, but words will never die. Be they spoken, printed, on screen or on some audio device, the words themselves are what is important. jrtomlin has that right. As long as we continue to think for ourselves, the words won't die. Now, if we started talking in binary code... then we'd have to worry, and this post would probably end up being much longer than what it is. (And yes, that IS a joke)

Skipper
Private First Class

Postby Skipper » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:32 am

I hope they survive. I prefer print over the digital.

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 am

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 am

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:36 am

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:36 am

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 am

[QUOTE]jrtomlin - 2009-02-10 12:36 PM Lexi, There are always online publications that are going under in every genre. It's easy to open one and frequently they don't have proper financing and don't understand the industry. And for people who have previously financed them out of their own pocked, quite a few that I know of among the smaller ones, this can be a really tough time. If the individual loses their job, there goes the publication. But I see no sign that the online pro publications are in any trouble. I've heard no rumblings about Baen's or IGMS, for example. That doesn't mean with the tough economic times at the moment that it couldn't happen. How do you research your submissions? I alternate between ralan.com and duotrope.com. QUOTE]

I'm just glad I checked the site again before mailing out my ms.  :o

I only just recently started writing short stories that I feel are good enough to submit.  Short stories are more difficult for me than novels.  Once I fumbled through the first few, I got the hang of it.  Someone recommended Duotrope's, so that's the only one I've used so far.  Their format is easy for a techo-dummy like me.  I also refer to the Novel & Short Story Writer's Market.

LS

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 am

[QUOTE]jrtomlin - 2009-02-10 12:36 PM Lexi, There are always online publications that are going under in every genre. It's easy to open one and frequently they don't have proper financing and don't understand the industry. And for people who have previously financed them out of their own pocked, quite a few that I know of among the smaller ones, this can be a really tough time. If the individual loses their job, there goes the publication. But I see no sign that the online pro publications are in any trouble. I've heard no rumblings about Baen's or IGMS, for example. That doesn't mean with the tough economic times at the moment that it couldn't happen. How do you research your submissions? I alternate between ralan.com and duotrope.com. QUOTE]

I'm just glad I checked the site again before mailing out my ms.  :o

I only just recently started writing short stories that I feel are good enough to submit.  Short stories are more difficult for me than novels.  Once I fumbled through the first few, I got the hang of it.  Someone recommended Duotrope's, so that's the only one I've used so far.  Their format is easy for a techo-dummy like me.  I also refer to the Novel & Short Story Writer's Market.

LS

jrtomlin
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jrtomlin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question