Life Stories

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
smartwonderwoman
Private E-1

RE: Life Stories

Postby smartwonderwoman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:27 pm

You can consider to write something about your life. But try to put a good conclusion with it. Something that could help others and get inspired by your life story. It would be better if you also include in the note the good motivation practice you have encountered to achieve your goals in life.

redhotwriter
Private E-1

Postby redhotwriter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:14 am

Nobody's posted to this topic since 2006? Better late than never. I am working on my life story as "creative non-fiction." I don't see how to do it otherwise and be interesting unless, of course, one seriously misbehaves for a lifetime.

Lex
Private First Class

Re: Life Stories

Postby Lex » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Myrtle, That was an excellent comment! I totally agree!
Alexis

jcs2722
Private E-1

Postby jcs2722 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Fiction would work for my life. At times I feel like I am merely standing looking in the window at the lives of friends and family, connecting with them, but never really becoming a part. Maybe, it was the nomadic lifestyle I lived as the step-child of a military father. At other times it's like I have made myself a home with the starting of my new family. In any case, life just happens and it is the substance of our stories. Our experiences pour from our pens and into the characters we imagine creating witty,sad,fun, and strange beings that people can relate to.

smartwonderwoman
Private E-1

Postby smartwonderwoman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:17 am

It is good to write stories especially if you can give inspirations to other. Something that they will learn for then to get motivated with the challenges in life. Making them set their smart goals to reach success.

Myrtle
Private First Class

Postby Myrtle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:06 am

Thank you.

M G Kizzia
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M G Kizzia » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:23 pm

As the quote says:  "Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story."

Fact or fiction, it would be a story.

Tru2LifeLuv
Private E-1

Postby Tru2LifeLuv » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:36 am

This is a very good question, one that I am currently dealing with. I started keeping a journal when I was around 7 or 8 years old and somehow, had this "bright" idea to save everything I wrote. So from city to city, relationship to relationship, journey to journey, I have without even thinking about it, thrown away mounds of clothes and shoes and "keepsakes"....anything really, but never have I tossed out any of the journals. I am now 35 years old. I am now faced with the "bright" idea to transcribe them all from the dusty notebooks onto computer. This will take me, what seems like a lifetime to do, since I am also working on a fiction book, which yes--pulls some elements from my personal life. I do not know how this will all end up, but it is something that I have to do. I hope one day to know the answer as to why. But I have an idea that it will be my therapy if nothing else.

MonikaM
Private E-2

Postby MonikaM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 pm

I always meet up people and friends those who share the same interest, and there we sit together to share our own stories.

kmet
Private E-2

Postby kmet » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 am

I would like to pose a question related to this. Has anyone found themselves in a situation where if they did write about some of their life events, someone in their life would be offended? I have had so many (at least in my opinion) true events that would make great stories, but family members would know that it was based on them. Sadly, though it's great material, I think I would be severing some ties.

Most importantly, should this stop me from writing it?

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question