Life Stories

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Administrator1
Lieutenant

Life Stories

Postby Administrator1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 am

Administrator1
Lieutenant

Life Stories

Postby Administrator1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 am

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a thought-provoking question related to the writing life. In the March issue of WD, we talk about turning your diary into a novel, and ask: Would your story be better told as fact or fiction? Why?

To be part of our monthly Conversation, e-mail your brief response (up to 50 words) to writersdig@fwpubs.com with "Life Story" as the subject line or post it here.

jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: Life Stories

Postby jasipper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:40 am

My life is definitely better as fiction. I use aspects of my own life and family history to build stories. To me, life is a platform from which to launch believable, beautiful, and meaningful stories. However, if I were to tell my own story as fact, people would probably snore.

Daphne123070

Postby Daphne123070 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:52 am

That's a question I've been asking myself for years. In the past, I have used life experiences to write fiction, but I want to tell my story. I started a memoir last night, so we'll see how it goes.

Tango
Private E-1

Postby Tango » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:14 am

Life is usually stranger than fiction and my life story is no exception; parts would read like a combination of divine intervention and freaky coincidence. Fiction would probably work better as a marketing tool.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:26 am

Mine would most likely do best as a tragic comedy of errors.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:59 am

Have to be fiction.  Even with the mother ship's user manual, you people would never believe it.

John

cathryisist
Private E-1

Postby cathryisist » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:48 pm

I'd prefer that most of my life's story be told as fiction to protect the guilty and not to embarass the innocent.

jazzdemonette
Private E-1

Postby jazzdemonette » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:27 pm

I'm biased for good reason. The first nonfiction I published is an autobiography, (Timeline, published ByShayne), and the first prose book I published was a memoir piece. I'm working on a book featuring the life I lead v. the life I SHOULD have had. This way, I've fully balanced the truth with the What-Ifs, but still retain integrity of events as I remember them.

Laruuk

Postby Laruuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:31 pm

My life would be better reading if I embellished and called it fiction. As much as I've donein my life, I doubt readers would want to see about the plethora of projects I didn't complete, the promises I didn't keep, or just how many failures outweigh my successes.

If I did convert my diary to non-fiction, it would be a tragic piece about a man struggling with his temper, responsiblities, and sprituality.

Next

Return to Conversation question