[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Surviving Criticism : Conversation question • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Surviving Criticism

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

RE: Surviving Criticism

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 am

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If we want to write, then we must expect critiques.  So what harm is there?  Is someone going to hit you over the head with a brick bat?  I hardly think so.  As a matter of fact, most people in here are very kind and generous with their very (HELPFUL) comments.  Some people may not like what you write, but that is not what is critiqued, it is the way it was written; and, if it can help improve your writing then why not have at it.  You're just as good as the next guy and everyone had to start out somewhere.  Why not here where people are helpful.

Lillies

SWickham
Private E-1

Postby SWickham » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks!

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am

RhysHairNo!
Private E-1

Postby RhysHairNo! » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 am

Hmm, that's interesting, Cheapskate. I read a selection of your Amazon reviews and you did get some stinkers! But I noticed you got far more 4 and 5 star reviews than 1, 2 or 3 stars, and some were really glowing. I have a better idea of this criticism thing now. The bad can't be right because they totally disagree with the good (and vice versa), which means they're all just opinions. Ohhhh, I get it now....not quite so scary anymore.

Samantha

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:59 pm

jiraffales
Private E-1

Re: Surviving Criticism

Postby jiraffales » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:52 pm

How can a person get an Amazon review? I think a negative review of my book would be better than no review at all. Would it be unethical to write my own review? Or pay/bribe someone to review it?

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:25 pm

SWickham
Private E-1

Postby SWickham » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 am

jiraffales
Private E-1

Postby jiraffales » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 pm

70 reviews... I can't imagine how I would deal with such success. I spent two years writing a book--which has 8 pages of bibliography--based on my 15 years in academia. I've sold a total of 2 copies of it in one year, despite having sent out 1,500 individual letters promoting it. I have zero reviews.

writeratwork
Private E-1

Postby writeratwork » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:07 pm

I think the worst criticism I've ever gotten was the one year I wrote for my college newspaper.

"You're a great writer, Tandra, but I decided somebody else could do a better job with that article. Here, line edit this piece for me."

One time, the editor didn't even publish an article I wrote. It was an edgy opinion piece about modern feminism (I go to an all-girls school), and I'd gotten special permission to write it. After I sent in the draft and never got a response, I stupidly assumed my editor had liked it as is and just sent it on to the copywriter. A week later, out comes the next issue of the paper (the one is was supposed to be in), and it was nowhere to be found. When I asked about it, my editor was like "Oh, yeah, it wasn't a bad piece." She quickly changed the subject and never said anything else about it.

I have since decided that newspaper journalism is not for me. Plenty more fish in the sea of publishing opportunities.

Tandra

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question