[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FIRST Drafts [Is it always such...] : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

FIRST Drafts [Is it always such...]

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
SarcasticHawke489
Private E-1

FIRST Drafts [Is it always such...]

Postby SarcasticHawke489 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 am

So I just want to know, is it okay when your first draft looks really, really just... weird? I mean, yes, I know that first drafts are meant to be just a skeleton, but does your 'draft skeletons' seem just as empty as mine?
I write and the story flows where it needs to go, but all the actions and dialogues are so empty, emotionless and so quick that I almost hate them and I want to throw it away.

Almost all the scenes consist of the simple verbs and paragraphs and I don't bother to enrich them. Is this the way how first drafts are made, or does every writer use their own preference technique? Should I be more attentive to my first drafts or should I just follow the flow? It kind of makes me really worried how simple it seems. For example, when I make characters talk to each other, I don't add strong verbs yet; it might mostly consist of 'he said/she said'. Or I rather 'Tell' things first before I craft them into 'Show'.

Could you share your experiences, and could you advice me how should I start next drafts once I'm finished with the first one?
" Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits? "

Brien Sz
Master Sergeant

Re: FIRST Drafts [Is it always such...]

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 am

Without reading it, it's hard to know if it really is as you say or you are just being overly critical of yourself. My method is to put the draft away for about 6 weeks. Don't look at it or think about it. Then, take it out and begin to read and edit. You nay be surprised. When I look at the first draft again, I tend to find things I thought were good, were maybe not so good and vice versa. For me, I tend to have to trim more fat than add it. On a third draft, that's when the piece really shapes up - there's generally some more trimming but often there is more filling out a few areas than are thin - when I say filling out, I am not talking paragraphs of information - maybe a sentence or two or three, here and there. After the third draft, I give it to some beta readers and then make adjustments as I see fit. Generally, I go through 4-5 edits before I feel the piece is done.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 am

My Site:
Social Links:

ostarella
Corporal

Postby ostarella » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 am

Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:13 am

My own method is very close to Shadowwalker's. I basically write one draft. I edit and revise as I go. For example, I always review and edit the previous day's work before I write something new. For my novel-in-progress I am doing something a little different: after I finish 10 new chapters, I go back and polish them before proceeding.

When I finish the entire draft, I do go back and edit it, but this does not entail producing a second draft. Again, it's largely polishing. I tighten the language, try to find stronger verbs, make the dialogue more natural, etc. I try to make sure each character's arc is consistent and convincing, and that there are no contradictions or redundancies. I also check to make sure there are no causality errors, that everything on every level always moves from cause to effect. Usually all this results in a lower word count. I don't consider this process revising, because never do I eliminate, add, or significantly change any scenes.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am what Steven James calls an "organic" writer. That is, I never plot or outline. I do research if and when it's needed. I begin with a general idea of what the novel is about, and I start writing. And yes, the process is very much like what Michelangelo described when he sculpted David from a single block of material: he simply removed everything that was not David. The story is already there, complete in every detail. I am simply uncovering it. I discover where it's going as I write. I discover my characters as I meet them. And when I've finished the draft, it's all there. Sure it needs polishing, but there certainly is no need to do a wholesale revision or a second draft.

This is the method that works for me. It won't necessarily work for everyone.

I might also mention that I see no point in putting my draft aside for 6 weeks, as Stephen King recommends, before I begin polishing it. I did that with my first novel manuscript, and I don't see that it helped any. But for some writers it might.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

maplington
Private E-1

Postby maplington » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:41 pm

In addition to what others have said, don't worry if your prose isn't too flowery. Many very successful writers have used a simple, straightforward vocabulary (Exhibit A: Ernest Hemingway). I think for many readers, an interesting premise, relatable characters and great plot go much farther than a lot of intricate language.

Return to Conversation question