your inspiration?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol

Re: your inspiration?

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm

It's very interesting to read where everyone's inspiration comes from. Most times I just have to look outside the window into the woods and suddenly something will come to me. I am not a good night-time sleeper, if I get three hours straight, I'm lucky. So I spend my awake time meditating or doing cross word puzzles. Some of what I think are my best poems have come from this quiet time, as opposed to long stories, which just come from sitting in front of the computer.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:35 am

everything i see, hear, read, experience, dream about, or imagine provides my inspiration...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog

Postby updog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Yeah, what Maia said. ^
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

https://twitter.com/vonnywrites
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11039198-vonny

t7troutm

Postby t7troutm » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I agree with writing about people who are different from me... I.write romances.thay are so, well, unbelievable to me. I write it like it's a true story, then when I read it it reflects a positive side of myself, the optimist, that I might not otherwise see if I didn't view the reflection in my writing. Really. I am a Huge cynic, so if it works for me, you may be surprised at what you see if you push yourself to think and write differently.

Le.Vel.

Postby Le.Vel. » Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 am

I get inspiration from my own experiences, films, books, pictures, ... You can find inspiration anywhere.

MatthewTM

Postby MatthewTM » Sun May 05, 2013 7:50 am

Lots of places. Of the three ideas I'm working on at the moment, one was a time in history I'd like to explore (mid-1950s), one came from a picture I drew for a friend's magazine (sci fi-based) and the other is a character who popped up in an aborted script contest entry and whom I have yet to find the right story for.

HoosierJoe

Postby HoosierJoe » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

T. Thom wrote:My most wacky inspiration came from the rock that nearly killed me in third grade.
I was ridding my bike in fall after a heavy rain and when I hit the breaks my bike decided it wasn’t done moving forward and as I was on the bike at the time so did I right into a five pound rock sitting in the middle of the road just waiting for some unsuspecting third grader to run there runaway bike into.
I vividly remember the moments wile I was flying through the air, I felt like a bird or a superhero!
Then I felt like an 84 pound lump of grounds beef.
So bloody and not thinking to clearly I shoved the rock into my backpack and took it home to try and kill it!
I still have it to this day and when I wrote Stone Friend (An as yet unpublished book.) that rock was my main character

Let us know when the book comes out!

quite interesting.

HoosierJoe

Postby HoosierJoe » Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 pm

The play I wrote was inspired by a sign I saw in a small (very small) town.

The story just published was inspired by the unusual name of an insurance agent in another small town. I could see his office, the dry cleaner office next door to him and the court house and county offices from the town square diner.

My current novel project is inspired by a desire to write a hard boiled Private Eye novel that is a little on the comical side. I like the whole noir culture.

I have a story inspired by a blue jay I saw teasing a cat. Although that never actually happens in my story i used the attitude.

I could go on.

AndriaLonye

Postby AndriaLonye » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 pm

I am super inspired by music. Lately I've been listening to this Pandora station and I heard this song by XXYYXX called "Alone." It's so weird and alien-like. I couldn't resist playing it over and over while I wrote other-worldly scenes. One of my clients is writing a young adult fantasy/sci-fi and I helped her re-write her first chapter with this song on repeat. I also wrote a short story about this complex alien kid strictly off this song. I know, it's kind of weird. But then again, most writers are weird. :D

BTW I featured the song on my latest blog entry where I talk about songs that inspire sci-fi/fantasy. Check it out if you want. The link is the first one on my signature.
My writing advice blog >> http://www.eclecticverb.com
Follow Me @AndriaLonye http://www.twitter.com/AndriaLonye
Like my fan page http://www.facebook.com/AndriaLonye1

Beth Rodgers

Postby Beth Rodgers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am

I was once inspired by a sign that read, “Vote to close the library August 2nd. Book burning party August 5th.” There was even a Facebook page listed on the sign. I was really angry about this, wondering how anyone could post something so awful. When I got home, I went to the Facebook page to see what it was all about and was shocked to see how many people were eager for the book burning to occur. And then I realized something. Even if the people promoting this book burning party were serious and wanted the library to close so they could burn the books (by the way, this wouldn't happen anyway as the library would inventory the books for a possible re-opening in the future if the vote didn’t pass - but it did), they were making some people angry enough to go out and vote to keep the library open. I sure would have been one of those people to fight to keep it open if I lived in the city that was voting on it.

This made me think about reverse psychology writing. Making people think one-sided about certain things, so you can add some twists and turns and make them consider other ideas and avenues they may not have considered otherwise. People say that reverse psychology won't work on them, but the fact of the matter is that in writing, anything can work if someone is really invested in what they're reading. Just because you think you know what's coming doesn't mean you really do, and that is why reverse psychology writing works so well. It allows you to throw monkey wrenches into people's thought processes, kind of like playing the devil's advocate. I've had fun with it in my writing since, and I hope you'll find it useful too!
My blog with tips about getting past writer's block - http://www.writers-block-help.com

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question