favorite part of writing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
rosebud

Re: favorite part of writing?

Postby rosebud » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:27 pm

MatthewTM wrote:Editing. I love chipping away at my work and smoothing the edges.

That's obvious. I just read your excellent piece in the Literary Writing Forum. Nice. :D

Rabuhato

Postby Rabuhato » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I'd have to say my favorite part is when I get into a flow and get lost in the act of typing and writing.
When I can't write fast enough or type well enough to keep up, it's irritating to leave illegible letters or typos behind.
But in those moments when that's happening, I am at my happiest.
Everything else can wait. :)
...Strange and wonderful creatures...

JeffSwitt

Postby JeffSwitt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Perhaps I am a sick-o, but the part I really like is sitting next to a friend, family member, of fellow writer and watching them read a fairly finished draft. I love to see how their expressions change (or unfortunately sometimes don't,) what hits or misses, and if they get what i am trying to say in my writing. So far my writing consists of short stories and poetry, although I am at Chapter twelve of a story, some 12,000+ words, my most ambitious to date. It will be interesting to find out how far I can take the story and the characters without padding the style.

updog

Postby updog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 pm

JeffSwitt wrote:Perhaps I am a sick-o, but the part I really like is sitting next to a friend, family member, of fellow writer and watching them read a fairly finished draft. I love to see how their expressions change (or unfortunately sometimes don't,) what hits or misses, and if they get what i am trying to say in my writing. So far my writing consists of short stories and poetry, although I am at Chapter twelve of a story, some 12,000+ words, my most ambitious to date. It will be interesting to find out how far I can take the story and the characters without padding the style.

Like Chevy Chase's character in Funny Farm? When he hands his wife his manuscript and then stares at her expectantly. That scene cracks me up every time I see it because it is exactly what writers are like when they 'watch' someone read their manuscript. :D

CrystalSpiritinc

Postby CrystalSpiritinc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am

As a writer, my favorite part of writing is reading the written portion for the very first time and hearing what the scene sounds like out loud. From that point I normally gain a visual of the characters and they come alive.

As a publisher, I love it when the authors characters make me empathize with them.

Vanessa
Crystal Spirit Publishing, Inc.
www.crystalspiritinc.com
Vanessa
Crystal Spirit Publishing, Inc.
www.crystalspiritinc.com

James Lacey

Postby James Lacey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 pm

UnicornBaby wrote:For once I don't need an elaborate answer to explain my views. It is simple. My favorite part of writing is the freedom. It is where I can be completely myself and indulge in the breathtaking beauty of the Pen. There are no limits to my imagination and I can create anything. When I am writing, my spirit is set free.

Couldn't agree more. One of the best things that ever happened to me was seeing my first book in print. But I didn't write for that. I write for me. It's my escape. My temple. My world.
"I need a really good quote to put here."
http://www.jameslacey.net

Anya Kylash

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm

My favorite part of writing is when you get THAT thrill

You know it.

You've just been writing, then you realize that you've just got an absolutely brilliant idea to throw into the future that actually ties in with some half explained things in the past and drives your story towards perfection. It's a sort of high on imagination.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Smileyface256

Postby Smileyface256 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:51 am

My favorite part is character development. I create a person, then act them out, think their thoughts, say the things they would probably say...it's like being in my own movie. I love it! :)

Previous

Return to Conversation question