favorite part of writing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
UnicornBaby

Re: favorite part of writing?

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 pm

For once I don't need an elaborate answer to explain my views. It is simple. My favorite part of writing is the freedom. It is where I can be completely myself and indulge in the breathtaking beauty of the Pen. There are no limits to my imagination and I can create anything. When I am writing, my spirit is set free.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 am

you'd probably agree with this, then:

"worlds without end"
http://www.saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=161
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Macky

Postby Macky » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Can't pick one, same way you can't really tell which child is your favorite. And I hate them and love them at the same time! First drafts, for instance, are so liberating because the rules of the world aren't set yet. Revision is exciting because now you know where you're going and you can be deliberate about your dialogue and ruthless with the stuff you thought you wanted to stick. Action scenes are harder for me, and sometimes my dialogues go nowhere in first drafts. But injecting tension in everything--I love that. Suddenly you realize why this word is here, or why it doesn't work, or what you need to change. Each part really has its own thing going on.
The cause of all things bad is a lack of imagination.

BookOwl

Postby BookOwl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:06 pm

I really like forming the characters! It's so cool when they start to take on a life of their own since they seem so real sometimes. Dialogue is really fun to play around with too :)
Unfortunately for me, I don't have enough patience to just sit and really go in depth to describe the scenery/background :/ something I need to work on since it can be pretty important XD
pagechaser.blogspot.com

amanda.d234

Postby amanda.d234 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Of late, I'd have to say that my favorite part of writing is dialogue. I often find myself writing with just dialogue, forgetting to explain the story with description otherwise. Making the characters speak has always been a driving force of writing for me. Putting the story in their mouths and actions, rather than me drawling on about it in a long description of paragraph form. I was informed about this lack of 'skill' (as you could call it) in an Advanced Creative Writing class. A lot of the stories short or long, I was told sound better as a script form. So in other words when I write there is going to be an over abundance of dialogue, which makes it difficult for me to propel a novel in the right direction. But nonetheless I love dialogue! I can't stop making the characters (when I've created some) talk!

this.is.my.username

Postby this.is.my.username » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:30 am

My favorite part of writing is the awesome moment when you get the inspiration/idea :)

imagination station

Postby imagination station » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 am

Hey this is my username! I really agree with you on the inspiration, and then you can create anything.
Hope you add me to your friends list.

micky640

Postby micky640 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:14 am

I write mysteries. My favorite part of writing is Foreshadowing. In my case I use foreshadowing as a way to drop a clue or hint to my readers. It is important for mystery writers to give their audience everything they need to come to the same conclusion as the book, even if you lead them down the wrong path every once in a while. For me: how and when to foreshadow requires detailed planning.

I blogged about foreshadowing last year. Come read why I love it so much. http://columbiawritersworkshop.blogspot ... owing.html

WriteSoon

Postby WriteSoon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:11 pm

I have to say that my favorite part of writing is when you get that line of thought going and you know it's awesome, and you almost can't write or type fast enough to get it on paper or screen. That racing heart feeling makes up for my least favorite part of writing--the part where you stare at the blank page and nothing but the sound of crickets goes through your head.

MatthewTM

Postby MatthewTM » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Editing. I love chipping away at my work and smoothing the edges.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question