Love is so wide, based on age, sex, and life experiences, that communicating it will be different for everyone. It's amazing how one word can bring together so many different explanations. For that alone I believe love is one of the most difficult things to explain or communicate. It is seen by all, and everyone views love differently. Men and women are on two different planets when it comes to love. Unlike fantasy where you can invent anything, I believe you cannot invent love if you have never been in love. Reason for that is your reader can tell the difference. What I do believe is that based on your life experiences you will have a different understanding of love if you are a teenager than someone who has been with the same person for ten, twenty, or thirty years.
What I don't think I've seen in this thread so far is what does love feel like? Once you understand what love feels like then you can communicate that feeling to your readers. Here's a few of my ideas about love.
1. Everything you dream or think about in your daily routine involves someone besides yourself. Even something so small as a single word you see on the Internet, or the television, or in a book and you immediately spend the next five minutes thinking about that special someone. One word, that's all it takes.
2. A nervousness around someone that even after many years continues to crop up. You can't explain it except that butterflies invade your stomach and you actually fear that you will mess something up. If you are deeply in love with someone you know what I mean. (This is different than the feeling of insecurity.)
3. Love is a feeling that you can look at the same person day in and day out and no matter what happens over the years be it aging, changes in body, health, or something tragic, you continue to look at that person like it was the first time you met.
4. Here's a big one for guys. Love is not buying flowers when you've done something wrong. Love is buying flowers when everything is right. This includes Valentines Day.
5. Love is knowing that there are two and not just you.
6. Love is visible. Love is invisible. Know the difference and when to express each.
7. Love is not being present in the same room, it's being present in each other's heart.
I could keep going, but I'm getting a little sappy. Just know this, men and women view love differently and no to views are the same.