How Do You Communicate Love?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
updog

Re: How Do You Communicate Love?

Postby updog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 am

:|

nhope

Postby nhope » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Love, like any other emotion, is expressed by either action or lack of action.
There are different degrees and stages of love and I still feel these passionate emotions cannot be described but are felt instead. The other person makes you feel like they love you, they don't love you, or that you want to love them or don't want to love them.

One thing I know about love is when you truly love someone you can't unlove them no matter what they do, don't do, and no matter how much you tell yourself you don't. Love makes an imprint on your heart and it stays forever - that's how you know.

Now, not everyone you love or that loves you is good for you, but that's another topic.
There needs to be some madness.

http://introverted-writer.blogspot.com

PowerUnit

Postby PowerUnit » Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 am

Real love is an action. It's the coming together of two poeple in common ground. When you take this marriage-encounter view of love, writing it is rather easy: show, don't tell.

Marinam

Postby Marinam » Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

That is easy for me to tell you: God is love so therefore anything to do with love comes from God. You can see my blogs and I have written a lot about love there in my Christian blog. (spam link removed -pls.)

serendipitous

Postby serendipitous » Mon May 14, 2012 12:39 pm

I love writing about love as I'm such a romantic. But I've never been in love; the closest I've ever gotten was intense infatuation when I was fifteen that I still wonder about. Therefore I've always had the rule with myself that I'd never write anything I hadn't experienced myself which, yes, may take out some of the creativity, but I don't want to create a fantasy of what love is. And that itself opens doors to the messiness of things, of our emotions and what our bodies are telling us, of what others have told us and the confusion of figuring everything out.

I still believe the best love is what comes from friendship, that feeling that grows the longer you know someone and that doesn't limit it just to teenagers (though they're fun to write because they're essentially clueless and have all the wrong ideas of what love is). So I like to depict love through the comfort of each other, of knowing each other well and having been through something together, whether it's two people who work closely together every single day or whether it's two people who grew up together.

But that's just me.

Ben Reader

Postby Ben Reader » Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 am

It was a photo in a newspaper. The photo was an image of flood. I just started wondering how such flood can be a beginning or end of a story. The next thing I remember was opening my laptop and started naming characters.

Ben Reader

Postby Ben Reader » Fri May 18, 2012 8:48 pm

That actually depends on what the story is about and who the characters are. I want it to be realistic but special at the same time. A writer needs to think of the characters and the story in order to present love there.

UnicornBaby

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 pm

I prefer the symbolism of the journey. I am also a fantasy writer, though. But in my book, my protagonist must go on a long journey in a magical world, corrupted by darkness, in order to save her mother. However, she must go on this journey with a boy who fell in love with her the moment he saw her, but whom she hates. This will become not only a journey to save Malbenocia, but also a quest into the deepest faculties of the heart. This certain journey will show how love, like life, is an Odyssey filled with many trials, obstacles, and battles that must be overcome. :D
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

BudJillett

Postby BudJillett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I would have my character perform some subtle act. For example, if I wanted to show a father's love for his daughter, perhaps he'd come to her room at night to check on her sleeping. He sees that her favorite dolly is missing from its usual nook in the daughter's arm. He retrieves it from the floor and tucks both daughter and dolly into the covers before clicking off the night light.

Something like that.

--Bud

DrG2

Postby DrG2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:45 pm

when done by people that know how, Love IS an act, or rather a series of behaviors. There are a million behaviors you can use to show this love, from a subtle touch or look, or defending the beloved. Sex is just sex, and the emotional upheaval is desire, not love. Of course, you'll be hard-pressed to find good examples of love in movies and much contemporary literature. On Golden Pond was a good example of Love. In "The Princess Bride", the real love was between the grandfather and grandson. Most literature/media can't get past the love as desire thing.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question