[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Getting started with poetry : Poetic Asides • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Getting started with poetry

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
MatthewTM
Corporal

Getting started with poetry

Postby MatthewTM » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a short form of writing I can practice (between writing a couple of novellas) and I'm excited by the challenge of presenting work to an audience. It looks like poetry might be an interesting route for me! Even though I've written many types of things in varying amounts including song lyrics, poetry still feels a bit alien.

Therefore, I'd like to familiarise myself with it a bit more. I'm getting involved in some prompts and challenges here and elsewhere, as well as taking every opportunity to visit local spoken word events.

But when it comes to places to read poems (potentially with good critiques) and share poems, does anyone have suggestions? That first bit of networking is a bit daunting.

I'm motivated to do the research into forms of poetry myself, but I would be interested to know what types of poems people started writing and what they consider their range is. Do you have a comfort zone? Do you consider some types of poetry are a particular challenge. And what was your experience getting criticism and performing for the first time?

Cheers for your help everyone! It's always appreciated.

Matt

Storylover02
Private E-1

Re: Getting started with poetry

Postby Storylover02 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:26 pm

If you want to read people's poem s and have your's read, this is great spot. I've posted several hear and I've gotten some good feedback! Everyone who has responded to my posts has been really positive and helpful. If they criticize me they offer helpful suggestions and are very nice about it instead of harping on everything that's bad. As for other places, maybe look around your home town or somewhere close by for some sort of literary club. Try your local library or bookstore and see if they have any special events for writers. Even try submitting poems to literary magazines and see if they'll give you any feedback.

As for styles of poetry, I'm kind of a beginner too. I got into it after taking a class in school so I only know a few basic styles. I've done a few non-rhyming quatrains, deca-syllabics, and some sonnets. The sonnets are the hardest in my opinion because there are a number of different ways and they each have their specific rules, but they're also the most fun to write!

Hope this helps and good luck! Hope to see some of your work up here!!

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:20 am

The Poet Sanctuary has a nice, friendly and active community. Wattpad also - though not every response is helpful but even a pat on the back has its place. I started using it a few months ago - to get myself started writing - firing off rounds of bad poetry. I eventually ended up on Writer's Digest.

TristanCodyPoetry
Private E-1

Postby TristanCodyPoetry » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:14 am

It is in my personal opinion to start with a very broad website like deviantART and then move into more focused forums and such as you become more familiar with poetry and its people.

I personally began my infatuation with poetry through deviantART and found many helpful people their as I evolved into the writer I am today. From day one's cliche poems and forward, there were people who offered sound advice. Also, with their group and st.ash system, you are able to collaborate and share with other writers easily.

Of course, though, I do hope you stay around here with us and share your work frequently. I'd love to give it a read if you do!

Best regards,
Tristan.
Editor of , published poet and literature buff.

Return to Poetic Asides