What are we 'teaching'?

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
Jess_xo
Private E-1

What are we 'teaching'?

Postby Jess_xo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, I've never written anything in my life before the two I have posted today so please let me know your thoughts!! Thanks heaps x

What are we 'teaching'?

So you’re a teacher?
Ask yourself this, what do you teach?
And your answer? Well maybe you would answer: I TEACH children, I TEACH adults, I TEACH Maths, I TEACH Physics, I TEACH English… well let me distinguish…
How? How you do you TEACH these things?
According to the dictionary to teach means “to impart knowledge to or instruct (someone) as to how to do something” Well I guess the next question would be who needs to be taught? Infants? Toddlers? Children? Parents? Adults? Sisters? Mothers? Fathers? Brothers? Who?
Everyone needs someone to teach them right? Wrong.

Why not? It’s really quite simple…
Children don’t need to be taught to walk, but they need the space to take their first steps and the motivation.
Children don’t need to be taught to talk, but they need the opportunity to be involved in conversation
Children don’t need to be taught about the environment, but they need the opportunity to experience creation
Children don’t need to be taught to be polite, but they need the opportunity to experience positive communication
So you see the difference, teaching vs. providing opportunity

As humans we are born as a social being. Right from the get go you are surrounded by other humans and through each and every interaction your perception is adaptable. We rely on other people to shape our views and values of the world but not everybody is compatible, so how can you TEACH a room full people the same thing when it is generic and mechanical. Society dictates what everyone should know but if not everyone is the same and learns in different ways why are we put in box and told right from wrong and that we don’t belong.
When children are born their minds are open and free from the influence of society’s pressure, so instead of telling and measure, let them explore and treasure.
There is no need to fill a child’s mind but instead provide opportunities in which they can open it.
As Albert Einstein said “I never teach my pupils, I only attempt to provide conditions in which they can learn”.
It is really that simple. If we changed our thinking and took a step back instead of teaching we could provide the right track. Open their minds instead of filling with ABC, from there they can see the world with the full potential of what it could be.
How would you like to learn? Would you appreciate being told what to think or having the opportunity and support to explore.
Being told that sand is rough or smooth, cold or hot, wet or dry, or experiencing the fresh air with your feet in the sand and sun on your skin.
So I ask you again, what do you TEACH?
And at last I’ll leave you with this
Tell me and I’ll forget, show me and I may remember, involve me and I’ll understand.
Hide not your talents, for use they were made, what is a sundial that is kept in the shade.
Just think.

max2011
Captain

Re: What are we 'teaching'?

Postby max2011 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Is this a poem or prose poem? or is it a short story? It's hard to tell what the format is.
what kind of feedback are you looking for? For deep critique, you need to go to the critique section of the writer's digest.

Return to Poetic Asides